Runners Forum banner

My poor toes!!

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  indianrunner 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

I'd really really appreciate some helps or tips from anyone who can help.
I'm training for a half marathon in 2 months and i'm having real problems with my toes!! During running and for a couple of days after a run my outer toes are very sore around the nails on both feet. I think this may be due to pressure on my toes from running?
I think my trainers are the right size and I have a pair of Nike trainers which are designed for straight runners/slight pronators, so not ones which force me to run on the outside of my feet too much (which I think would make it worse!).
Any suggestions or ideas as to how to solve this would be most welcome!! I need to increase my distance by another 5 miles to make the half marathon but at the moment I'm getting a lot of pain doing just half the distance I need to do and so I'm starting to worry!!
Please help!!
Many thanks!
Jenny

#2 ·
hey there jenny.....
when you say pain on the outer toes...which ones do you mean and also when you say on the nails....do you mean the inside of the toenail on one side or the other side????

it all seems like you need to have a look at your footwear again....did you try a trial run when you bought them???also can you not return them, if they arent fittin u well?

pranav.

#3 ·
Hiya Pranav,

Thanks for replying.

Its my 4th toes that hurt the most, and my little toes and 3rd toes hurt on longer runs (If you count my big toes as my 1st toe).
Its the inside of the nail that hurts I think - when I walk and pressure is put on my toes as I walk, the nail hurts - also if you press the nail from the top it really hurts! it seems to be under the whole nail rather than one side or the other. This happens on both feet!

As for my trainers - I did a trial run on the treadmill when I bought them and to be honest they've never rubbed at all - it just seems to be my toes that are suffering somehow and I'm a bit stumped as to why!

Thankyou!
Jenny

indianrunner said:
hey there jenny.....
when you say pain on the outer toes...which ones do you mean and also when you say on the nails....do you mean the inside of the toenail on one side or the other side????

it all seems like you need to have a look at your footwear again....did you try a trial run when you bought them???also can you not return them, if they arent fittin u well?

pranav.

#6 ·
Hi Jenny

agree with previous message,looks as if you need a slightly larger shoe.You may wish to try a pair of New Balance shoes which come in different widths and may help to ease any pressure on your toes.I swear by them.A reputable running shop will be able to advise you.

Good luck with the training for the half-marathon.

Ray:)

#7 ·
hey there jenny
i perhaps dont need to repeat what the other have said in terms of the fact that maybe your toes are getting squashed....maybe the reason your fourth toe hurts the most is cause it bends on itself in the squashing process....seems like you need wider shoes....also maybe important if you look at ur nails including ur big toe to see if ur toenails are actually ingrowing....maybe u just need better technique of cuttin ur toenails sso that the grow str8er rather than curved in.....hope it helps.....

pranav.

xxx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.