Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again

The Nagano Marathon is now just over a month away, on April the 20th and I need some advice please!

My longest run so far was 15k which I did in 1hr35mins. I was pretty tired at the end too! This was a week ago. I shall be running 16k tomorrow with some guys from the team who know all about training. Sounds like we'll jog the 1st half and then pick up the speed to 7 or 6mins per km.

The probem with the Nagano Marathon is you have to complete it in 5hrs and there \are gates along the way too!

Suppose I should just pick up a marathon training schedule and get to work?!

My adductor seems ok although it starts to hurt when running unfortunately.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi Jolewest

I'm no expert on training schedules etc. but to go from 16K to 42K in a little over a month sounds a bit mad. Actually it sounds really mad...

I thought I was pushing my luck when I did my first marathon last year after completing only 4 long runs (16k, 18k, 20k and 22k) in the 10 weeks before the big day. Having said that I got round in under 5 hours - and I'm 40 and, according to my wife, "slightly chunky".

The only way I got to the end was to take it REALLY easy for the first 30k and then just hang in there for the final 12k. It hurt like hell - but now I can't wait to do another.

Good luck

Slowsteve

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Slowsteve.

I have been thinking I'm mad for a while. A groin strain held me back since october....

In JAnuary I did a snow-shoe race with little training before hand - this was a 15k race but apparently it was about the same as running 30k....hmmm it took me quite a while as I didn't run all of it anyway and my fitness level was pretty low!

Argh..well, prob gonna run a half marathon next weekend ...if that is almost impossible then I may consider pulling out and jus doing a few halfs this year...we'll see!

Everyone else think I'm mad too? I'm 25 by the way ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi There - Just need to ask if you live in Japan? I do and am familiar with Nagano - anyway - 5hours is really tough for a 42km. I completed 15 km in 1 hour and 30 minutes and recently did the Tokyo Marathon in 5hrs 30 mins - there were deadlines here but the total marathon deadline was 7 hours. I won't say you are mad!!! As anything is possible but if you are not used to running beyond 30 km I would say 5 hours is ambitious. On this forum people advised me to dp speed running and run up hills to increase stamina....try that maybe 2 times a week...but really you have a month to go as you need to tak it easy int he last week....Good Luck!:)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Adrienne

Thanks for the reply!

I am living in Japan, in nagano's northern Iiyama actually. I am beginning to think I may have to pull out as an injury I had a few motnhs ago has reared itsugly head again! The abductor muscle...seems to be affecting the whole right leg somehow. Gonna see an osteopath as may be connected to my lower back...but a sports therapist would be best ay! Don't suppose you have any recommendations for Nagano city do you Adrienne? I have heard of a greatone in Tokyo, but that would mean getting there this week...

You know what I think I'll give the Nagano marathon a miss, strengthen my abductor (if that is the only problem) and do some trail running instead - looks like loadsa fun in the mountains here!

Do you live in Japan too Adrienne?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi There - Yes I do! I live in Tokyo near Rainbow Bridge - do you know this area? I have been to Nagano many times but never lived there. I can't recommend you anywhere to go - but do know many doctors you could visit in Tokyo! It's a shame you need to pull out but it is probably best to get 100% better first! Try the Tokyo marathon next year!!! Imay try Nagano next year but I hear it is a tough one....is it true!!! Anyway let me know how you go
Cheers - Adrienne:d

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, update: my leg seems to be ok it seems as I managed to complete a half marathon in 2hrs15mins today...so...I reckon if I can do around 30km and then 37km before the Nagano marathon, I may be in for a chance of finishing it....if al body parts function well! What do u think?! Still a long shot>?!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi Jolewest

Well done on the half-marathon - sounds promising...how did you feel afterwards???. If you felt ok and then you can manage a 30K and a 37k before the big day then you should have a really good chance of getting round.

Having said that I'm probably the last person on earth that I would take running advice from...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Slowsteve

Thanks! I felt ok afterwards - obviously tired (was up at 5am for a start...urgh) and I only have achy muscles in my right leg .... is that odd? I feel muscle pain around my lower leg and also on the right side of my lower back. It's all the right side! Have been going to an osteopath and he thinks it's ok and is probably just damage after the run....but I'm a little concerned that it's in just one leg - not that I wat it in both... feels like it will heal pretty soon but perhaps my back is a bit bent ? Most people have one leg a little longer than the other though don't they?

After vthe half marathon I felt I could have done sa little mmore...but not another 21k!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Great result, Jolewest!

A few small aches after a run longer than you normally do is nothing to worry about. If it still hurts after a few days, then check again :)

Best of luck with the marathon!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Good luck with the 30k.

Don`t let the fact that your on your own worry you. (It can get boring on a long run,I know)

The satisfaction will be greater knowing that you have not relied on anybody but yourself.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi Jolewest

Just noticed that you are logged on...any update on your progress? Are you still doing the Nagano marathon??

Slowsteve

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Slowsteve!

Sorry I missed your post there!

I am indeed doing the marathon and it's in 2 days!! argh!!

Have just been volunteering as a translator for the Ishigaki World Cup Triathlon, so got some inspiration from that! Those athletes are amazing.

Anyway, the marahton....still aiming to just finish the race . I did a 10k run in 54 minutes ast saturday, so apparently if I multiply 54 mins by 5, that's the knda time I'm looking at for finishing the marathon...if I get that far!

Am wondering what kinda pants to wear....

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi Jolewest

Glad to hear that you're going for it. Just start out at a pace that you feel really comfortable at and I'm sure you'll get to the finish line.

As for the underwear issue....no idea.

Good luck

Slowsteve

1 - 20 of 28 Posts