Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I'm new both to this forum and to running. I've just finished reading a book by John Douillard (title:"body mind and sport") and I was wondering if anyone in the forum has come across this guy's work.

He seems to be suggesting that if ones trains oneself to breathing from the nose, one can get breathing rates of 15-20 breaths per minute when one runs at the best of ones ability. He seems to be suggesting that he has tried it in athletes in the states and has found dramatic improvements not only in the runner's performance but also to the runners' subjective experiences of comfort and enjoyment during the run.

Mr Douillard suggest going back to a slower running (or even walking) pace until one gets accustomed to this particular way of breathing and then work one's way up from there. He says that one can get back to one's normal running pace in 4-6 weeks. Mine is still quite slow anyway so my performance dropping is not going to be a deterrent but I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this guy and if anyone has ever tried his suggestions?

thank you
Yannis

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I think we have had this discussion before, and the general consensus was that this is a pretty ridiculous idea. Or maybe I have precognition, which would be less fantastic than this method actually being useful ;)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Personally I don't believe in the idea of brething through the nose while running. There may be some benefit in some people doing it - but I doubt very much you'll see any runners in Beijing breathing through their nose!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds like you're clear both clear about it. JBBury, do you remember anyone in the that discussion you refer to, having actually tried this guy's method? I'm not trying to argue for this guy's idea, I'm just trying to find out if there's another soul on this planet that has actually given it a go.
Richard thank you for the welcoming message as well. I think that you're right, probably there won't be any runners in Beijing breathing through their nose while running. I doubt it though if any olympic coach would try anything else than the tried and tested or at least the commonsensically/scientifically justifiable. Anyways, thanks for your time guys.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I don't know... coaches/athletes have been known to try all sorts of different things to try and gain a competitive advantage, the 'common sensically/scientifically justifiable' methods tend to take precedence though purely on the basis that they work better ;)

I too would be interested in hearing from anyone who has implemented this into their training to see how they got on... I'm always open to new/different ideas :)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I'm sure if there was anything in this, the top athletes and their coaches would have tried it. In fact, they would probably be the only people to try it. If there is an advantage, it's likely to be marginal, and only professional athletes require marginal advantage. No point amateurs going through this regime for a few seconds of pace. They could get that from other training.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I'm going in for an op on my nose towards the end of the month to open up the airways I'll let you now how much this improves my breathing.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
This is exactly what I had not too long ago... two weeks off work! woohoo!!!

Have to say though my nose doesn't really feel any better for it. The one side that was blocked does seem to have improved, but now the other side feels a lot more blocked :(

It's bloody annoying for the first week or so not being able to blow your nose :( Good luck with it!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I tend to breath in through my nose and out with my mouth when I'm really going for it at the end of a run. I think it's more just the rhythm it keeps that helps more than anything.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
This is exactly what I had not too long ago... two weeks off work! woohoo!!!

Have to say though my nose doesn't really feel any better for it. The one side that was blocked does seem to have improved, but now the other side feels a lot more blocked :(

It's bloody annoying for the first week or so not being able to blow your nose :( Good luck with it!
Got that beat RS 3 weeks off work. I was told to start blowing my nose the day after the op. Been blowing and rinsing several times a day since feeling better already.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
do you find that its helped with your breathing whilst running?

also how did you decide that you had a problem and needed to goto the doctors in the first place??

personally i feel that if i try to just breath through my nose it feels like there is resistance, and i cant get enough air in through it.. if i hold my nostrils open though its a lot lot easier

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I have a strange image of you running down the road fingers pinching your nostrils to flare them a bit further.

For me it is still to soon to tell if it has had an affect or not.

I went to the Doctors with recurrent sinus infections.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I went to the docs since I always seemed to have one blocked nostril... since the op I no longer have a blocked nostril, but breathing through the other nostril has been impeded a little as a result. Still resistance when I breathe, though i'm a lot more comfortable being able to breathe through both nostrils... it has in no way helped my breathing whilst running. lol.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I went to the docs since I always seemed to have one blocked nostril... since the op I no longer have a blocked nostril, but breathing through the other nostril has been impeded a little as a result. Still resistance when I breathe, though i'm a lot more comfortable being able to breathe through both nostrils... it has in no way helped my breathing whilst running. lol.
Rich if you are anything like me it wouldn't help. I tend to breathe through my arse when I run!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts