Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was barely 1k into my 10k training run, when I heard this terrific crunching sound and felt something scratching my head, followed instantanously by a loud thud behind me. I looked round and it was a hefty branch, the smaller twigs of which hit my head - thankfully I didn't get clobbered by the heavy bit!

There were branches everywhere in the woods where I run, but thankfully no more trees targeted me, and I managed to complete my 10k. The last 1k was uphill, and that was another near death experience in itself, so I got 2 for the price of one today! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Right that's confirmed it for today....I'm off running along the beach and not in the wood!!

Lucky escape that!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
You be careful RRB, you seem to be accident prone at the mo. :eek:

A near miss though you must have a guardian angel looking after you :)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
That would have been nasty! A good reminder to why we should always tell someone what our route is going to be when heading out, just in case.

Glad your OK.

O.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
You get training for your race;) No lozzing about now.
What happened to everyone advocating the importance of restdays? :p

or

I am tapering after my 2 x 5K yesterday, don't want to peak to soon. :p

or

I slept badly and appear to have trapped a nerve on my foot, I am worried about making it worse. :p

Anyhow I have not been accepted yet :confused:

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What happened to everyone advocating the importance of restdays? :p
I am planning a rest day tomorrow, to make sure these gales have blown themselves out, and to let any more damaged branches fall or get sorted by the rangers! :cool:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I had a bit of a nightmare run today too. Set off on an easy 8 miler and I'd checked the wind direction before I left to make sure that it was behind me on the 3 mile seafront stretch. Obviously, i had to face the wind at some point and got battered senseless by the gusts which slowed my mile pace down to 11 mins at some points and on the way back about 2 miles from home I got a piece of grit in my eye - not good when you wear contacts! I had to hop into a field behind a hedge and attempt to remove my lens somehow in the screaming wind as I was in agony. My lens disappeared somewhere into my eyeball and I had to run the last couple of miles blind, haha. It was dangerously windy out there today. i only passed one other nutter who was insane enough as me to be out there running:) be careful out there:)

·
Registered
506 Posts
I had to leave it stuck to the top of my eyeball until I got home but I did manage to recover it safely with the use of a mirror. Funnily enough, I've never worn shades but that's the first thing I thought of as soon as it happened.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:eek: Did you retrieve it?!

A good case for wearing shades on a day like today :cool:
I wear shades 90% of the time - which draws the odd wisecrack from passing cars yelling "It's not sunny today mate!". I don't have time to explain the shades stop grit/rain/flies going in my eyes as well as working for sunshine! But then why should I! :rolleyes:

Hope your eye is not too sore Rob and have a replacement if you lost the lens.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I wear shades on most runs during the spring/summer months...mainly coz of the ickle flies more than the sunshine

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well my shades didn't stop me from blowing up having fought against the wind for 7 miles or so this afternoon :(

·
Registered
177 Posts
All these nightmare stories! Oh no I'm just about to do a 8 mile run thinking i should head for the duvet cover instead as well. :(

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Yesterday the wing blew my kitchen patio doors in. Missed me by inches and landed on the dogs' bed where they had both been snoozing a few minutes before it happened. Luckily they had got up for their teas or i would have had two squashed dogs!!!!!!!!!:eek:

When I went running yesterday morning at 7am it was warm, sunny and calm. Then it went downhill:(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts