Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I train every few days at the moment and am currently running about 9 miles on average. Im 60+ years old and this is my first marathon but i need some advice on eating.

I also practise Yoga and breathing exercises on a daily basis and feel that generally Im quite fit and healthy.

As a vegetarian, ive tried to increase my intake of food but not sure if im getting enough.

Whilst running I eat a few bars of chocolate health snack bars and drink plenty of water. When i come back I eat a little bit more, fruit usually and then have a traditional indian meal for dinner (rice, lentils, curry etc) for dinner.

Should I be eating larger meals however for lunch after training? I eat a few cheese rolls now and again but I think pasta would be better. How often should I be eating?

I usually have a breakfast consisting of meusli and tea. I then run in the afternoons and have fruit or sandwiches for lunch and have dinner in the evening. I drink plenty of water throughout the day.

Are protein shakes recommended? Or is that more for gym users?

I think my diet is key in training but I dont feel I am eating much more than usual (prior to signing up for the marathon) even with the regular training that I do.

I know there are a lot of questions here but I look forward to reading your responses. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

Happy New Year to you all

- Run

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'm certainly no expert but from what you say it sounds like you have a sensible eating plan / diet. As you can run 9 miles on a regular basis I would suggest downloading (or someonwe from this forum will tell you one) a training plan for a marathon, as in mileage, rest days etc.

What marathon are you planning to run, hope it all goes well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Run1942

You could try looking on the runnersworld.co.uk website, theres lots of information on there and they cover training plans etc.

Hope all goes well with the training.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Run1942 said:
Hi, Im 60+ years old and this is my first marathon but i need some advice on eating. - Run
Hi there Run1942,
All I can say is that we're all different and that a diet that works well for one person is not necessary right for another. Unlike you I never eat (or drink) when out on a training run. Even when I was marathon training, and doing runs up to 22 miles, I never carried water - though I do admit to begging the odd glass when temperatures soared into the eighties!
Most of my training runs take place a couple of hours after breakfast which consists of muesli and banana followed by a slice of toast with butter and marmalade and two cups of tea. If I've had a hard or long run I'll have a glass of water with four teaspoons of sugar and a pinch of salt as soon as I get back.
I can't comment on vegetarian needs because I'm very much a carnivore. For lunch I'll have three slices of french stick with salami and Dolcelatte, and another slice with honey - all washed down with another mug of tea. My evening meal is mainly the traditional English one of meat (about half a pound!) and three veg with more tea (or red wine at weekends). I'll eat fish once a week by way of a change. In addition I eat fruit every day, mainly apples but I can eat satsumas by the bucket when they're in season! My diet varies very little, except by the actual amounts, according to my needs. My body tells me if I need more.
Have a look at Hal Higdon's blurb on diets for marathon runners on: http://www.halhigdon.com/Articles/Diet.htm
Also, there's a new book called 'Vegetarian Sports Nutrition' by D. Enette Larson-Meyer available from www.humankinetics.com
Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm afraid I belong to the Nike school of thought - Just do it! - and to heck with all the whys and wherefores.
Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Runningfox said:
new book called 'Vegetarian Sports Nutrition' by D. Enette Larson-Meyer
!

Hi everyone, thank you very much for your kind responses!
Especially runningfox.
I will definately have a lot of research to do.

I was also recommended a book by Sam Murphy on running marathons that I will read shortly

Good luck with all your training schedules

If there are any more responses, do keep them coming! Much appreciated

Run'42

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Hello Run 1942,
Not a nutrional expert but I believe generally you want to carb load before a big run/race (you can do this the night before) and after a run obviously fluids ( I sometimes make a mixture of fruit juice, water and a pinch of salt) and a post run snack consisting of carbs and some protein like rice cakes with wholenut peanut butter.

Sounds like you are already eating lots of pulses remember seeds can also be rich in those essential omega 3s and these can be addred to salads, smoothies, breakfast cereals, flapjacks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts