Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Ive decided I need something to aim for and am hopefully going to attempt the London Marathon in April.

Im a real beginner currently running 30 minutes 3 times a week but would like some kind of training schedule for the likes of me that doesnt start off by doing 10 mile runs as obviously im not at that level yet.

Can anyone help at all, I would like something like the coolrunning "couch to 5k" schedule but obviously for a marathon.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
steepler said:
Try to build up slowly.
Maybe a half next year then a marathon in 09?
+1

I'm using this plan from Runner's World - link - to prepare for my first marathon.

I trained and ran a half marathon before starting the plan and also took an extra month to build up to the mileages in the first week. I'm glad I did, as the program would have been harder if I hadn't.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Rob said:
That's an interesting link you posted, Grant. I was running 5 days a week training for the half marathon earlier this year and it was hard because of work and family and it often felt like I wasn't resting properly and I also sustained some injuries as the weekly mileage ramped up.
I picked the three day a week plan exactly because it gave me time to do all the other things in my life. I'm also doing a gym session on a Saturday afternoon as well.

Apart from a really tight calf muscle, I haven't had any problems yet - and this problem was solved by skipping the speed session on the Tuesday. Also, I've managed to keep the pace of my long runs at a steady 9-min mile pace, even though the mileage has picked up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Go for it!

technium said:
...am hopefully going to attempt the London Marathon in April.
I wish you all the best in your training.

I am not up to that level yet... well not up to attempting it anyway. I'm doing a couple of 10k runs (Sept and Oct) and planning to do a half marathon next March. I'll try and do some more 10k runs early next year as well.

Perhaps I'll attempt the full-on marathon in 2009...

Anyway technium, I wish you all the best!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts