Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard people mention the benefits of hill reps. Is Trinity the main supporter of these? Anyway, I've decided I'd like to give them a go, but need some advice.

I have found what I think is the perfect hill for reps on my usual long run route. It's about 50 metres and quite steep. Is this the kind of hill for repping? I was thinking about doing 10 reps (sprinting up and jogging down). Would doing this once a week be beneficial? Will it make me super fast?

One more thing. This particular hill is 4 miles from my home. Is it advisable to do these reps after running 4 miles and having to run back 4 miles? Obviously I wouldn't run the 8 miles at race pace. Anyway, any advice welcome :)

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
when we do them at the club we run about 5k warm up and then do several reps on 3 different hills. someone with a garmin times it and forces us to do one rep (up and down) every two and half mins, although this will prob change depending on your hill

our hills are about 100 -150m long also we are building un the number of reps.. 2 per hill this week, 3 per hill next week etc

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I don't think it matters how long the hill is....we do various reps on not very steep hills every other week...I certainly think they are good for stamina..if not speed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
JBB, I have a similiar hill that is also of about 50 metres and relatively steep. I always do hill reps at least once a week but I am lucky in the fact that this hill is only 500 metres from where I live so I have several options in how I do my hill sessions. I may decide to do a session of about 25 - 30 hill reps after a gentle 15 min warm up jog or I may do a shorter session of about 10 - 15 reps after an easy run of about 6 - 8 miles. In every run that I do, be that easy, long or hard, I always ensure that there are at least two or three hills on the route as I feel that doing hills in any form is of benefit for stamina and cardio vascular improvement.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to hear some positive stories. My main reason for doing this is that I have a 5k race in January, and the first mile of it is up a great big hill. I need to be able to maintain my 5k race pace up that hill. At the moment, I doubt I'd be able to do it.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Once you've done hill training, you'll know yourself what benefits it offers. I noticed on Sunday that the one place I really struggled was on the climbs, and I also know that's purely through a lack of hill work.

As steve says, I don;t think the length of the hill matters too much, though I tend to work on slightly longer hills (anything from 100m to 300m)... I guess the thing to vary would be the recovery time between reps - shorter hill = shorter recovery.

Just take the 4miles there and back nice n steady ;)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I wouldn't warm up for more than 1.5 miles before a hill session, and that's a gentle jog warm up. Can you drive somewhere and jog from the car?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't warm up for more than 1.5 miles before a hill session, and that's a gentle jog warm up. Can you drive somewhere and jog from the car?
I was thinking that too. I could drive out there and give my car a workout too. I drive so rarely that my car is always having problems due to lack of use. In fact, if I decide to drive I could just go to Arthur's Seat which has a bloody big hill that's probably 3/4 of a mile :)

So on a hill rep are you supposed to just go up the hill at full sprint then jog down or rest before doing it again?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It varies really... if sticking to one hill I'll run the hill hard then jog/walk back down to the bottom as a recovery, maybe stop for 10secs or so at the bottom before going again.

A lot of the sessions I do though aren't traditional 'hill repeats' but a normal run which has a load of hills on it... in which case I'll run hard up the hill and have a rest at the top before jogging along to the next one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i used to do my hill reps by running steady at the hill for a set time say 60sec on the first run then then jog back down in 90sec to recover. for the next 10/15 reps try to reach the same point in the same time. you can change it buy going harder over a shorter time etc. also take a handfull of stones with you, place one at the top of the hill after your run as you tend to forget how many reps you've done...lol

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
It varies really... if sticking to one hill I'll run the hill hard then jog/walk back down to the bottom as a recovery, maybe stop for 10secs or so at the bottom before going again.

A lot of the sessions I do though aren't traditional 'hill repeats' but a normal run which has a load of hills on it... in which case I'll run hard up the hill and have a rest at the top before jogging along to the next one.
STOP!!! noooo!! Richard, I'm surprised at you! :suspicious:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I was thinking that too. I could drive out there and give my car a workout too. I drive so rarely that my car is always having problems due to lack of use. In fact, if I decide to drive I could just go to Arthur's Seat which has a bloody big hill that's probably 3/4 of a mile :)

So on a hill rep are you supposed to just go up the hill at full sprint then jog down or rest before doing it again?
No, not at full sprint, or you will have trouble making the 10, 12 or 14 whatever you're doing.

After your warm up run hard enough to know you're working at it, but keep in mind that it's a fairly tough session and you want to be able to run well up the last few hills too.

The jog down should be very gentle and easy...it's the recovery, so by the time you get to the bottom your breathing is back down, your heart rate is back down and you are ready to go again...without stopping for a little sit down (Richard! :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
104 Posts
So then, for a fellow newbie, would you do any sort of run afterwards? The end of my street has a pretty steep 200m hill which I go up once each day on my run (it's the only way I can go as it's a cul-de-sac, grrr!), I have another three minutes of uphill running after that, but the rest of my course is pretty flat. Would it benefit me to do, say, 10/15 hill reps then go for a 2 mile run one day instead of my normal slog around town? At the moment I'm doing 4 miles a day (ish), five days a week.

·
Registered
104 Posts
maybe up to a mile afterwards, but yes, it'd certainly be a welcome addittion to your training schedule :)
Would it be worth adding to what I'm doing, or replacing something? ie at the moment I do nothing on the weekend, so have two rest days which I don't mind dipping into, or even doing hill reps on a morning before work then my run on a night time. If not then there's a mile route, or just over, I could do after the reps. There just sound reasonably undaunting to me at the moment - famous last words I reckon, though! :d

1 - 20 of 26 Posts