Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Runners!

I must say that I don't love to run, but was told by my wife that I must!
I’m therefore looking for a good tool that can help me with my running exercises. I have tried both Polar and Garmin but they don’t motivate me enough. I was thinking of a simple-to-use mp3/heart rate device that could play my favorite music mixed with running advice (preferably using verbal instructions) telling me to, for example, speedup or slowdown. (I have trouble with the small display on the Polar devices). Also it would be nice if my heart rate data could be transferred to my PC so that I can track my performance and tune my subsequent running programs.

I have tried Nokia 5500 sports phone and it get closer to my needs but is too heavy and clumsy to carry and doesn’t integrate with my pulse-belt.

There must be a device that satisfies these needs out there somewhere - Can anyone help me?
Thanks,
Troels

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
ooh I think you need to talk to steepler... ;)

Seriously though... why do you need all that to run? Admittedly when I go running on my own I like some music to run to, and I wear a Garmin so I know my speed and distance...but I only check that when I get home. I use it more as a guage to my training level.

If you need that much motivation then maybe running isn't for you? But if you are sure it is, then imagine not being able to run, imagine being injured for over a year, and having to watch races rather than take part in them.

Don't try and find ways to distract yourself from actually being out there and doing it... just enjoy it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check out Nike or Swirlfit

Troels,
Look on the bright side, she can’t nag you if you’re out running!

Seriously though, I have to agree with you regarding the Garmin and Polar products; if you’re new to fitness, it will seem like you need a pilot’s license to use the software and you probably want to spend your time on the road, not on the PC.

Personally I find the music aspect most motivating, and of course the Nike Plus solutions not a bad result here, but you’re missing any sort of coaching or Heart Rate information.

There is one new player out on the market that you might want to check out – Swirlfit. They’re running beta trials right now for a service that combines training programs with your own music and apparently they’re going to launch a piece of hardware called “Swirl” which is an MP3 player, so you’ve got your music, AND a heart rate monitor. So there you go, try them; swirlfit.com

Good luck with the running.
P.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Troels, i was having the same trouble with the movitation you need the right music! - have you heard of mixalbum?no good it your not into your dance, but i use it all the time now you can choose the tracks you want, and you tell it what speed you want and it mixes it alll together its mental! mixalbum.com/main/fitness - read the extreme workout bit at the bottom that really works for me, i do 40 min mixes and make them increasae by 15bpm. anyone else use this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great run this weekend!

Hi Rupi, Thanks for the link but it’s only available in the UK as far as I can se. I did try the Swirlfit solution however and it seems to be a great solution for me! I did have some problems with uploading my music (you need the .net framework installed on your pc), but after installing that, I could upload my own music. Creating a 30 min. running program was easy as was adding the play-list to the program. I tried it last weekend with great result. They claim that the Swirl hardware, soon to be available, will record your heart-rate and that it will be uploaded to my service through bluetooth! If that is true then I will consider purchasing one because I then could have all my needs covered in one single unit! Nice if that’s really what they will offer.
Troels

1 - 6 of 6 Posts