Runners Forum banner

need motivation

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Grant 
#1 ·
ok well Ive started running 6 months ago, had a few injuries due to newbie mistakes but managed to achieve a run I always wanted to do which was from my house to the light house and back a total of 7 miles and boy was I chuffed, but since then Ive managed to find excuse after excuse not to run, either too cold, too wet, windy, might rain or even cant be bothered tonight. When I do run im knackered after doing just 2 miles and then take shortcut home instead of carrying on.

I love running but lately I just dont have the enthusiasm to do it. When I run the tops of my thighs feel knackered, I can never seem to get my breath right no matter how slow I run and just generally feel Im getting no where.

Have others felt like this for a few weeks, will it get better?

#3 ·
I agree with Steve. If I didn't have a goal, I'd never get my backside in gear. Entering the Race for Life was the best thing I could have done.

The other thing I find really works is planning in advance when I'm going to run. Obviously, you need to allow yourself a bit of flexibility, but I schedule my runs into my diary at the start of the week, and I only rearrange if I have a good reason (and I do count "it's pouring with rain outside but the forecast's better tomorrow" as a good reason ;) )

#4 · (Edited)
technium said:
ok well Ive started running 6 months ago, had a few injuries due to newbie mistakes but managed to achieve a run I always wanted to do which was from my house to the light house and back a total of 7 miles and boy was I chuffed, but since then Ive managed to find excuse after excuse not to run, either too cold, too wet, windy, might rain or even cant be bothered tonight. When I do run im knackered after doing just 2 miles and then take shortcut home instead of carrying on.

I love running but lately I just dont have the enthusiasm to do it. When I run the tops of my thighs feel knackered, I can never seem to get my breath right no matter how slow I run and just generally feel Im getting no where.

Have others felt like this for a few weeks, will it get better?
Its easy to get demotivated you going along everything's rosie then an injury nothing like it for de motivating some of us .

The thing is, because your training intermittently, its this, that's causing you to have a few aches when you do run, which lessens your enjoyment leading to the d word.

The hardest thing sometimes is to look out the window it.s slashing down with rain the wind is howling and your head is telling you sod this !

But if you just take that step over the threshold and start unning your brain switches and sudenly because you've decided on positive action you think yeah come on lets do this, i'm out here know i might as well enjoy it.

You could try entering a race, a 10k would be good, in say 3 months time you've then got something to aim for .

Other than that it's join a club or find a running buddy preferably with a competitive streak.

The fact that you've joined the forum means you had the motivation just try and recapture that feeling .

hope this helps a little
i'm sure some others will have different ideas as well

stick with it

good luck

Cheriton

#5 ·
I have to admit that I have regularly been planning to go out for a run and just struggled to find the motivation to do so. That said though, everytime I've forced myself out the door, I find that once I've warmed up I'm feeling great - my mind clears and I feel completely de-stressed.

One thing I've found as key though is setting numerous goals, short term, mid term, long term... etc... set as many as you like/want/can, and as long as they're realistic, you can work towards them and getting out the door each day for your run becomes as normal as eating your dinner (well not quite, but close!) lol.

Hope you find your running mojo soon enough - perhaps a change in weather will help over the coming months?

#6 ·
Setting a goal looks like the way to go, as everyone has recommended.

Cheriton's recommendation of joining a running club was exactly what I was going to recommend - I went out for a run yesterday morning and was ready to give up 3 miles in. Thankfully, the company of other folk from my club kept me running for another 4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.