Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am 44 and started running after having a bad back for a couple of years. I have been running for about 8 weeks and have certainly felt the benefits of it. I started the walk/run schedule but am now managing to run 2 miles (great achievement considering could'nt manage to walk 1/2 a mile 6 months ago). My query relates to training and how I should step up my training for the 5K race for life in June. I have had a few niggling pains in my knee when I run but just try and keep going. I try and run work/children committments aside 5 times a week and try and get some swimming in around this. Please any advice on what I should be doing to reach my goal to raise some money for charity would be appreciated. I run on the road as our nearest gym is 15 miles away.
Thanks to any one who responds to this.
Focus1::)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi Focus1

As a general rule - don't incease your overall weekly mileage by more than 10% and don't increase your longest run of the week by more than 10% and (this is the bit I ignored and I think it contributed to a lot of niggly injuries over the last year or so) have an "easy" week fourth week or so, to allow your body to recover.
Knee pain could be caused by loads of different factors - over pronation / the wrong type of trainers / muscle imbalance / poor flexibilty etc. etc. I generally have a few aches and pains in my knees when I start a run but they soon disappear after a mile or so - if it was any worse than that I'd probably go to a physio for advice.

Good luck with race for life

SlowSteve

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Slowsteve has said it all, enjoy your race for life and let us know how you get on, good luck.

Sounds to me you are doing very well.

:d

1 - 4 of 4 Posts