Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps

Having a lapse of faith at the moment, and seem to be losing my motivation. My jogging has been a bit sporadic recently given situations at home and I just can't seem to get the 'get up and go' to get out.

I you can spare a minute I'd love to hear how you get over these moments, if you have them, and about how you got through it to do your races/improve fitness/improve times etc.

Deflated of Cambridge

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Nat... try and imagine not being able to run at all. I got injured in April 2006 and before that I used to have times like you're having now.

Suddenly I couldn't run at all, not just for a few weeks... for months. I threw away about 11 race entries that I had already booked into, including London marathon, Copenhagen marathon, a couple of ultras and numerous shorter races.

A year later after seeing so many consultants, NHS and private, of whom no one could find the problem, it looked like I'd reached the end of my running career.

I managed short runs and races but I would go out not knowing if my leg was going to let me run, or if it was, how far.

I regretted all the times that I'd missed a run because I couldn't motivate myself... what I wouldn't give to have those days back again!

It's over two years on from when I got that injury now and it's still not fixed, although I am able to run further again. I'm at the hospital again this afternoon, but first my consultant wants me to run until I get the pain in my leg, then go straight to the hospital for an ultrasound scan.

Today I am so grateful that I can actually go out and run a decent distance, although I am constantly monitoring how my leg is reacting so it's not as 'free' as it used to be. But I can always motivate myself because I know what it's like to not be able to run.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
We can all suffer from a lack of motivation from time to time... though usually I find that's about time to re-assess my goals!

Have you got any races coming up? Are you a member of a club? Have you got any weightloss targets etc? Any kind of goal that you can take small steps towards each day I've always found is one of the best ways of motivating oneself... getting out there each day, just because we feel we should, can quite easily come across as a bit of a hard slog (though admitedly, as Trin says, we should all be incredibly grateful that we CAN!)

Chin up... and get yourself entered for the forum social event, that'll give you something to work towards ;)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, will get myself entered into a race perhaps, that'll help! Thanks Richard.

Thanks Steve - tough love works sometimes :d

·
Registered
664 Posts
One of my best friends unfortunately suffers from Parkinsons. I know he would give anything just to be able to walk normally, let alone run. Seeing him makes me determined to make the most of the health I am forunate enough to enjoy.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Nat said:
Hi peeps

Having a lapse of faith at the moment, and seem to be losing my motivation. My jogging has been a bit sporadic recently given situations at home and I just can't seem to get the 'get up and go' to get out.

I you can spare a minute I'd love to hear how you get over these moments, if you have them, and about how you got through it to do your races/improve fitness/improve times etc.

Deflated of Cambridge
Why not just put kit on and get out the door...sometimes just closing the door behind you and running a few steps is enough to get you going again.

If that doesn't work make arrangements to run with someone meaning you have to get out or else you'd be letting them down.

Not always easy to feel motivated I know...we all suffer from life's problems every now and then which makes anything difficult to get enthused about. Try to think of someone you know who is maybe worse off than you and think of all the good things in your life...you'll be smiling in no time and then a run won't seem so bad......hopefully!:d

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nat said:
Hi peeps

Deflated of Cambridge
Last year I had quite a few couch potato moments, but I realized that the hardest part was getting off the couch. Once you've taken that first step, getting dressed and putting your trainers on feels a lot easier and you can start to focus on your run. Getting up breaks the psychological barrier, so to speak.

If you need extra motivation, there's always the CNN "reveal" on Haile Gabrselassie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCARH83vZpw
(parts 2, 3, and 4 are in the "related videos" section).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Get inspired

I think it's quite easy to get a bit stale from time to time, especially if you are just slogging out the miles with no real target. When I felt like this earlier this year, I went to support friends at the Edinburgh half marathon. Seeing hundreds of people who had motivated themselves to train for this race really inspired me, and the excitement and atmosphere of the day made me desperate to be part of it. I remembered why I love running, and have since done 2 halfs myself. So I recommend you watch and/or enter a race soon, and your sparkle will soon return!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I had only been running (well if you want to call it that) for 2 weeks and I anounced that I was running a marathon:eek: :eek:
No backing out now.........this is what motivates me.

Just get out there and run, your running mojo will return:d

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I'm in the middle of reading Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston. It tells his story of being trapped by the arm while out climbing after being stuck for 6 days with a tiny ammount of water which ran out after the third day and his little food ran out the same day. At what he thought was the last day of his life he cut his right arm off with a blunt knife and breaking the bones of his arm to finally get free. The story of his life up to this point, that of a very active and adventerous young man. Whose life almost ended in over 6 days of being trapped is quite inspiring in it's self, but his strength of mind during his entrapment for me is awesome. Well worth a read if you are in to that kind of thing.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Squint said:
I'm in the middle of reading Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston. It tells his story of being trapped by the arm while out climbing after being stuck for 6 days with a tiny ammount of water which ran out after the third day and his little food ran out the same day. At what he thought was the last day of his life he cut his right arm off with a blunt knife and breaking the bones of his arm to finally get free. The story of his life up to this point, that of a very active and adventerous young man. Whose life almost ended in over 6 days of being trapped is quite inspiring in it's self, but his strength of mind during his entrapment for me is awesome. Well worth a read if you are in to that kind of thing.
I read that a few years ago... couldn't put it down, incredible story of pure survival against all odds!

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I would be sat there but I'm too scared incase I fall and get trapped.

The guys fitness was scary skiing Friday climb a mountain Saturday 50 odd mile hike Sunday and just for fun on Monday before work a cross country marathon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts