Runners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, been training for the t.d.m.b. ultra, plenty of hill work up and down for 10 hours. also high milage 80 plus night running etc. strategy for t.d.m.b was to power up hill and fast walk down and on flat. but due to timed controls it was nec to run most of it. pulled out at half way mark due to knee injury. info on training tips and uk ultras gratefully received

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Sorry but I don't know which ultra you was talking about, how far was it?

I have run Dartmoor Discovery twice (extremely hilly 32.4 miles) in 6hrs 10min and then 5hrs 35min and Kent 50 Challenge (mostly flat 52.4 miles) where I was first female finishing in 10hrs 15min ... http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2012&v=1&sp=

My training strategy has been to do loads of hill training, as you have. But the thing with hill training is that you have to know when to give yourself a break because it can take it's toll on your knees.

I've never done more than 60 miles a week and my longest run has been 28.2 miles, for which I used a marathon and tagged on 2 more before the start.

I've used marathon races as training quite a lot because you get the back up, people to run with and a nice medal at the finish.

I also think carefully about my nutrition...lots of protein to repair those damaged muscle fibres, as well as B vits, Iron and vit C.

I'm sure you do but never neglect water, it not only hydrates your systems but while you're running your muscles get very hot and the water is the coolent.

Anyway, trouble struck back in April when I picked up an injury, I think mainly due to high training and lack of adequate rest because I started working nights and wasn't getting enough sleep... so take heed of that too because that's when the body gets most of the repair work done.

If you or anyone else finds anything I say useful, can you please help me in too...I started a thread last week in the Training topics and no one has offered any advice or suggestions.

Hope I've been of some help

1 - 2 of 2 Posts