Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first 9 mile run today and all week ive been looking forward to it. This morning came and i was still up for it. But a mile in I started to doubt myself and by 2 miles in i was practically telling myself i couldn't do it. :mad:

My running partner did his best to motivate me but i never fully got rid of those negative thoughts. Does this happen often to people? What do you do to get rid of them?

J

·
Registered
42 Posts
I recently did my first 9 miler for 7 years and I think everyone has this but maybe not as much if you havent done one before ....

I tend to think things through in my head when I go around ... whats on telly and all sorts and it tends to pass the time a little bit more ...

If you have an ipod then use that as it will give you something else to concentrate on but be wary of you run on the paths next to roads and dont forget to look at you cross roads.

When you get the first one out of the way you should feel better as you can never say you cant do it as you know you can do it so thats a barrier gone ... all you can do is do more of them and you will become more comfortable

Wel done anyway ;)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i wouldn't stress about it... you should be pleased that you finished the 9 miles at all...

i haven't done that badly and the furthest i run is 5.5 miles and even that kills me even now... can't run slowly to be honest... it might be because i run differently to a lot of people... always with a high cadence and i make sure i keep that up... i change my speed by changing stride length... so most of the time i run like a pigeon with lots of short steps very quickly...

not sure the 'it get's easier' is that true... i've found that as i've got better i push myself more so it always seems tough...

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
jammidodgr said:
I did my first 9 mile run today and all week ive been looking forward to it. This morning came and i was still up for it. But a mile in I started to doubt myself and by 2 miles in i was practically telling myself i couldn't do it. :mad:

My running partner did his best to motivate me but i never fully got rid of those negative thoughts. Does this happen often to people? What do you do to get rid of them?

J
It's important that you don't believe the negative messages in your head...don't give them any time at all, just dismiss them and distract your thoughts to something...anything else.

If you give the negative messages air time then they will affect the chemistry in you body and become self fulfilling. Your mind is an incredibly powerful tool that can act against you if you allow it, but also give you amazing success if you think positively

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I always seem to get negative thoughts at the start of my long run, no matter how up for it I was before I started the run.

I know that it always gets better about 3-4miles in.

I remind myself of this at the start of the run and I always seem to manage to finish the run once I get past this point.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trinity said:
It's important that you don't believe the negative messages in your head...don't give them any time at all, just dismiss them and distract your thoughts to something...anything else.

If you give the negative messages air time then they will affect the chemistry in you body and become self fulfilling. Your mind is an incredibly powerful tool that can act against you if you allow it, but also give you amazing success if you think positively
Thanks Trin, that makes sense to me. I'm considering music, its just the practicality of carrying it.

If it happens again then i will try my best to think positively. I'm doing my first 10 mile run next sunday, could well be a test of character.

J

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
I certainly get negative thoughts - usually during races, and I think sadly they can manage to get teh better of me; as Trin quite rightly says, the mind is an incredibly powerful thing!!

you don't have to let them get the better of you

There's a great book called 'Running Within' by Lynch/Scott, which has helped me to get the upper hand over the negative thoughts that try to creep in while running

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
jammidodgr said:
Thanks Trin, that makes sense to me. I'm considering music, its just the practicality of carrying it.

If it happens again then i will try my best to think positively. I'm doing my first 10 mile run next sunday, could well be a test of character.

J
I use an Ipod, which I put in the pocket of a little running belt so there's nothing to carry. You can also get pockets that you strap to your arm, but I don't find that very comfortable

·
Registered
6 Posts
negative thoughts

jammidodgr... i bet you're not the first one to get negative thoughts on a run and definitely won't be the last, so don't beat yourself up about it honey! remember that by running 9 miles you're running a lot further than most people run in a whole year. music can help...make sure they're upbeat tunes though I really wouldn't recommend REM or sometihng like that.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I get negative thoughts but I do my absolute best to banish them, as they can literally ruin a run short or long.

Just think when you do your 10 miler next week, you have already run 9 miles so you know it is possible, once you do start doing the distances you do wonder why you are doing them but after awhile they do give you confidence.

Perhaps do a body check when you are feeling negative, ask yourself do your legs feel good, is your breathing good, if all yes then everything is fine, if no then you may need to slow down slightly until you feel comfortable again.

Let us know how you get on :d

TT :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd go with the ipod too -type of songs do make a huge difference though, i notice how some songs sap your energy has taken me a while to get my playlist together -right here right now -fatboy slim is prob my fav. I really cant run without my ipod -i find myself focusing on my breathing which panics me. Turn the ipod up so i cant hear myself breathe and its better -apart from that i just try to 'zone out' put the discomfort out of my mind and try not to think too much -time seems to go quicker then. My Worse thing is checking down on the treadmill display at the distance time moves so slowly if you do that! :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, just to let you know TT, i did my ten mile run today, managed to keep those negative thoughts from developing and so i never felt bad the whole way round.

Absolutely shattered at the end though! But thats what i expected. I didn't take any music with me however, i'm gonna wait till ive got a bit more cash.

I had a great sense of achievement afterwards which i will still have all week probably!:d :d :d

Thanks for the support guys, 11miles next week! haha

J

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your thoughts are your own choice, but often how you feel physically may dictate that choice! So while many say make your mind lead your body, use positive thoughts to overcome weakness, it also makes sense to let your mind follow your body - get stronger and fitter so that you feel more confident. As a coach I prefer my athletes to feel they are physically well prepared and hence feel confident.
I do think, though, that how you control your thoughts while training and racing is important - have a look here
http://www.runflux.com/blog/2008/04/23/can-you-find-your-way-into-the-eye-of-the-storm/
for some thoughts on the subject

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
jammidodgr said:
Hey, just to let you know TT, i did my ten mile run today, managed to keep those negative thoughts from developing and so i never felt bad the whole way round.

Absolutely shattered at the end though! But thats what i expected. I didn't take any music with me however, i'm gonna wait till ive got a bit more cash.

I had a great sense of achievement afterwards which i will still have all week probably!:d :d :d

Thanks for the support guys, 11miles next week! haha

J

Hi Jammidodgr

I have only just seen your response this must have slipped past me, that is great news well done, keep up your good work as like you say the sense of achievement is amazing. :d

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I totally struggle with negativity, but not necessarily about the running per se. If I'm feeling a bit down, or something is on my mind, it can really effect my running. But sometimes, a specific song on my ipod can totally change it around. It's bizarre how your mind can make a regular 6 mile run easy or extremely difficult. I find it best to try and empty my mind when I'm running and just get in tune with the beats on my ipod.

·
Registered
48 Posts
When i get this feeling i try to tell my self its the pain barrier. Once you go through it more and more you get used to that period of time when you feel like you're going to struggle and you look forward to getting through it and settling in to your rythm.

Try to balance it out with thoughts like "this is hard but hell i'm the one doing it and not just staying in doors" and imagine pushing through the pain barrier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts