Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else get nervous before a race? Even the small ones I still get apprehensive - no idea why!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Everyone who takes running seriously gets nervous before a race, and you will find that several of the top runners throw up regularly beforehand. If you are not nervous then the chances are that you will not be mentally strong and will perform badly.
You will also find if you ask that most people feel ill, injured, tired and in no fit state to run well. That usually means they will do a p.b. Perhaps your body is just preparing itself for the ordeal by focussing your attention on it.
Take it as a good sign.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
The trick is to control the nerves and harness them to good effect.
Always used to warm up with a walkman on for track races. Some choice tunes helped me along!

·
Registered
6 Posts
steepler said:
The trick is to control the nerves and harness them to good effect.
Always used to warm up with a walkman on for track races. Some choice tunes helped me along!

Hmmm explains the queues at the portaloos too. Top tip for the nervous runners, take loo roll, wipes etc in a little plastic bag to start area, oh and a paper to read once you've exercised squatters rights :confused: on your chosen accommodtion.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Even Tanni Grey-Thompson still gets sick just before a race....it's one of the things, according to her interview at the GNR, that she won't miss when she retires!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts