Runners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’m a 46 year old male, 6’3 tall, 86kg. Not run since 30+ years ago (back in the school days). Athletic build and work out with weights 3 to 4 times per week, although have not done any form of cardio in the last 5 odd years (and even prior to that, it was very limited cardio before/after working out). I also have a desk job so minimal walking/steps daily.

This week I started to go for a daily 3.5 km walk. At a brisk walking pace, on my 4th attempt I completed it in 29:38 (average speed 7.0 km/h).

Today I decided to run that distance and managed it (panting all the way through, like it was going out of fashion) in 22:23 (average speed 9.3 km/h). I ran that fasted, having woken up and drinking 2 glasses of water prior.

My Initial plan is to carry on walking 6 days per week and run one day. Possibly up it to two runs per week down the line. And then increase the distance to 5k (both for walking and running).

Based on the above, what kind of times should I be aiming for when running either 3.5km or 5km?

And any kind of specific training or tips that will help me to build up stamina/endurance? 🏃‍♂️

·
Registered
960 Posts
Hiya, and welcome!

I reckon you could up the running and decrease the walking if you did a run/walk program like couch to 5k. If you're otherwise healthy you'll do just fine - just watch out for your knees and if your body says something's wrong, then just scale it back a bit.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Agree with Nat. Pace doesnt matter, in fact aiming for a particular time for a distance is not at all helpful. You need to build up aerobic endurance by not getting out of breath! Run slowly until breathing starts to become heavier then change to walk until breathing recovered then run again etc. Repeat run/walk. You will finds running spells get longer.

Keep your head up and shoulders back. If you can see your feet when running, you are leaning forward.

Proper running shoes are important to avoid injury.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree with Nat. Pace doesnt matter, in fact aiming for a particular time for a distance is not at all helpful. You need to build up aerobic endurance by not getting out of breath! Run slowly until breathing starts to become heavier then change to walk until breathing recovered then run again etc. Repeat run/walk. You will finds running spells get longer.

Keep your head up and shoulders back. If you can see your feet when running, you are leaning forward.

Proper running shoes are important to avoid injury.

Thank you GraemeL, what you say makes so much sense and will take it on board and be more conscious when out running/walking.

My aerobic endurance sucks at the moment as when I did the 3.5k run on Sunday I was breathing heavy a few mins into the run (and then throughout the remainder of the run).

Since my run the heel area on my foot (and to some extent the middle of my foot) are in a little pain when I walk. Hopefully it's more to do with a shock to the system than anything else as I have a decent pair of running shoes. Will also keep an eye on my posture from now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
One more thing might help you. Run with your knees, not your feet.
A great drill is to loosen all your muscles below your knee. Let you lower leg 'flop' about. As f it was the lower leg on a puppet. So when you are jogging, bring your rear leg to the front by conciously lifting your knee, not your foot. Let your foot land wherever it lands. Its a drill you can use throughout your future running life. Even now after decades I do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ha :), I am47 and started running (from zero) only a few years ago. With overweight and smoking. Today I am proud to run the full distance.
You are far too soft in you. Keep on running. 4 - 5 days a week. Enjoy the pain!

·
Registered
4 Posts
One more thing might help you. Run with your knees, not your feet.
A great drill is to loosen all your muscles below your knee. Let you lower leg 'flop' about. As f it was the lower leg on a puppet. So when you are jogging, bring your rear leg to the front by conciously lifting your knee, not your foot. Let your foot land wherever it lands. Its a drill you can use throughout your future running life. Even now after decades I do it.
Just signed up to this forum to say thanks for this sound advice. I'm 54, never done any running until 2 weeks ago. Love the running from the knees/'puppet' analogy. I can feel my stamina increasing with each run, cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update...I am still running 3/4 times a week, only 3 miles but I can do it without resorting to walking pace now 👍. Feeling fitter as a result and nowhere near as knackered as when I first started. I'm definitely a morning runner (pre-breakfast) and this suits me just fine. I never thought I'd say this but I actually enjoyed today's run. Cheers

·
Registered
217 Posts
That is good to hear, keep it going. It is good to look back every now and then to see how much you have changed.

G

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts