Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

I have run before in a gym for about one year, getting my distance up to 10km per day on alternate days, but then when my membership expired I got lazy and didn't run for about two years

I decided tonight to run for the first time in the street. I had put off running on the street because I had intentions of subscribing to a gym membership, but I have been feeling so good about myself and my life that I really WANTED to run tonight and it didn't matter where, so I just did it

I am going to run on alternate nights and I'm excited about how my fitness is going to improve. I already ride my bike to and from work every day which is 8 miles so I was shocked when I didn't stop jogging tonight after 2 minutes. The hill got me though and I started to walk

I felt very short of breath with a pain in my lungs after a while so I walked home for the remaining distance. I wonder whether the pain was the chill of the freezing air - it didn't feel like a bad pain, more like a good pain that my lungs were working the way they should. Yes I have smoked in the past, but I don't any more

this is all exciting to me and I have sought out a forum to post at because I know people succeed more with a support network and a place to share similar goals

thanks for reading this - I'm sure you've all been in the same place and can't imagine life without your regular runs and that's how I want to feel

YFR

·
Registered
835 Posts
I agree, with enthusiasm like that, the pain will be a distant memory and the fitness you want will be your reward. Keep it up!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I agree with previous posts,You certainly seem to be motivated so just stay with it.

Just make sure you`ve got the correct shoes and dont try and do too mucjh too quickly.

All the best.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome YFR.

Good to see another convert!!

As I say on a regular basis ...if you can find a running club to join...it's the best way to keep motivated and to ensure you get out on days you may otherwise stay in with your slippers on!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Good on ya!

I have problems in the cold too. I find that air below freezing hurts when gulped in and also that I justy can't do any sort of distance. Maybe my body is using spare energy to keep warm. I have a similar problem when it's too hot, I did a few runs when I was in Oz up in the tropical rainforests. Again I think it's the body using energy to regulate a core temperature. But there the walk home was a bit more pleasant than Basingstoke in freezing fog.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
again... sounds like the temperature is causing the pain when breathing. I can't believe you've managed to keep running on a treadmill so much for so long! Running outdoors in my opinion is a million times more interesting and rewarding - and costs sod all!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts