Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all....I have run before but at the minute i'm struggling to get my motivation and i hate going out on my own....

I know there isn't much alterative but I wondered if anyone had any suggestions on the best times to go out (the reason I dislike going out on my own is I hate people seeing me run.)

I weigh 15 stone and am trying to lose weight. I am also getting maried next year so this is a big help in my weight loss journey!!!!

I have learnt so much from readin these forums and want to thank you all for that!!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I know it's easy to say but don't worry about people seeing you run...you're doing it and that's the most important thing.

Besides, you don't know what they are thinking, when I see a larger person running I think "well done them! They are taking control and doing something about their health rather than sitting in front of the tv and making it worse"

So get out there...the sooner you do, the sooner you'll see those pounds drop off!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I agree with Trinity completely, I've never mocked people out exercising, regardless of their age, weight, or apparel, and that includes when I wasn't a runner myself.

Infact when I was overweight (classified as obese according to BMI ratings) it was partly down to seeing seeing people of all shapes and sizes out running that made me realise I could just as easily be out there! A few runs in and I was hooked :d

If you're struggling for motivation then perhaps consider joining a club?? They're not just for the skinny racing people at all! I'm sure running with people of similar ability to you will not only make the runs seem much easier, but will give you the motivation to get out there whenever you can to run!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Running and the "lone" female is always a hard question. A lot depends on the area in which you live. Would you feel safe running on your own at a time of day when nobody else is around? I do a lot of running at 5am. Never many people around.
But on the other hand, there is something to be said for the security factor of actually having people around at the time you run.
"Catch 22" I'm afraid. :(

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
It can be daunting at first going out by yourself, you feel like everyone is watching, but after a couple of outings out by yourself you will find you are more interested in how you are doing than what anybody else thinks.

I also echo some of the other points made, I always think good on anyone getting out there, joining a club will also put you with like minded people as well.

With reference to Pedestrian one of the safer times is in the morning so if you can get going that might be a good option, I struggle getting up in the morning just to go to work let alone run :d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I know it`s easy to say,But don`t worry about other people.

The only people out there are people like us who will only admire and encourage,and then there are the ones who would love to do what you are doing but havn`t got the gumption,bottle or the will (call it what you like) to get out there and take control.

Be proud of what your doing and don`t give up.

All the best.

Dave.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi there
Im fairly new to running been doing it on and off for 3 months (mostly on mind :)
A good time to go in the morning is about 7am, (especially with winter months and limited light). I tend to wake up at this point and im out of the house in 5mins- eating a very small of breakfast gives me a bit of a boost and helps me wake up.
Traffic wise (cars and people) it isnt too busy. Theres a few runners near where i live and i give them a nod when i go by. Also because i run near a few primary schools i tend to see parents and kids. Always makes me feel good for some reason as the kids always seem intrigued, and im sure even if you arent comfortable with people watching you run, you wont mind a funny look on a kid, in which case follow my advice and stick out a cheeky tongue ;)

If you are conscious of other people seeing you then focus back onto your running technique, i always try and make sure my breathing, strides are ok. Anyway, who cares what everyone else thinks? Focus on why you go running and keep at it!
Good luck!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just get out there and do it:) I think we had a thread here once about how much stick we've taken when out running and almost everybody here bar none had numerous stories to tell. lol. It happens to ALL of us. It happened to me just 3 days ago. People shouting and so on. Forget about what other people think of you. Just make a note of how many other runners will nod and say hello as you run past them. It's always better to stick to daylight hours if you can though, I find.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts