Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many many hours of faffing, fiddling, tweaking, and all related synonyms, I've developed a new header.

Why the change?

The old header had style, but wasn't overly functional. For example there were 3 buttons that all led to the homepage, and the register button showed even if you were registered.
There were also 3 navbars.

I wanted to create a 2 navbar scheme, that was more functional. And if I could make it a little less tall, even better.

What's changed

One of the things about vBulletin software, and the addons on this site, is there's an awful lot of things you can click and do, but it can be difficult to find.
In order to keep it fairly simple, most buttons and text now contain dropdowns with related content.

The "standard site things" are still buttons, and the user related stuff is on a text bar below, with most of the sometimes-used but handy-to-link things under the User Links text.

I'm not going to list every change. But just to give a couple of ideas...
The info button currently contains a small list of stuff. Before long it'll contain other useful links such as a useful page no one's ever heard of.. the bbcode page.
Also have a look under training blog and you can easily get access to someone else's blog, something previously only possibly by looking at that user's posts, or by manually typing in the url.

Mostly though it's just grouping and reorganising.

Also note the welcome box to the right, the Mark Forums Read and Log Out links are there, making it easy to click one then the other.

The Rest

The old header is still available by clicking the dropdown in the very bottom left of most pages. That style will be removed when this one is completely finished.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I like it, although moving the new posts button is taking some getting used to. This might be as I use a touch screen on the phone and the old one sat neatly under my left thumb. Utopia would be the option the the main logo to go to new posts instead of the home page.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
There is no obvious "home" button and what happened to "Today's Posts"?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Website logos are generally linked to the homepage, as is the first element in the breadcrumb.

I didn't realise Today's Posts was used by anyone except guests, I would have thought everyone used the x New Posts link.
If you've got the sidebar enabled and the posts box turned on, the today's posts link is in there. I shall also add it to the end of the User Links menu for the moment.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I tend to use it if I want to re-read something I have posted or find a post/thread I have looked at but haven't posted in, as as soon as you look at it it leaves "new posts"

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today's posts is under the user links menu, same as it used to be.
Difference is now it's at the bottom.

It's also in the posts box on the sidebar, if you have that enabled.

Where would you suggest putting it to make it more accessible?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I know you can access the Home page by clicking on the RF logo but some people may not realsie that... can you put the Home button back please

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
The two bar is a definate improvement rather than fix IMHO. As with anything it takes a bit of getting used to as it is different to what we are used to.

It would be interesting to see how people navigate the site. Personally I live with the new posts button and always click the logo for home so didn't miss the home and todays buttons.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
or put the whole thing back to how it used to be.:lol:

If it aint broke, don't fix it:lol:
It was broke.

There were 3 home buttons, things like training blog was difficult to find, there wasn't enough space to add any new features.

And there were 3 navbars which couldn't have been ideal for newcomers.

I still don't know where to put the today's posts links. I could put it next to new posts, but that doesn't allow much room spare for 1024x768 users. I could turn the new posts into a menu, but I thought it might be better to have it as a single-click item.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts