Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just a quick hello and a question. I've only been running for short while and took part in my first 10k on Easter Monday, it took me four days for the aches to disappear, is this usual ? I'm 46 years old and run three/four times a week to a total of 15-20k I warm up and warm down at the end. I am doing another 10k in may so if I am doing any thing wrong a few pointers would be appreciated . Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place but as I have not posted before I thought this would be a good place to start. Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hi :) Welcome to the forum

Have you run distances of 10k or further before? It sounds like your body's just not used to the distance yet. If so, that's nothing to worry about; if any of the aches last for longer than a week or so, see a doctor or physio. Otherwise, just enjoy, maybe try doing a few longer runs. With a couple more goes at this distance, you should be able to run it without much by way of aches at all :)

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
That can be quite normal discksmith, certainly nothing to worry about... It may sound pretty basic but you're body is used to performing at a certain level, you may well be able to run 10k no problem at all, but the more you run out of your bodies comfort zone, the more it's going to hurt. My guess is that the race day adrenaline got hold of you and you ran much faster than you normally would... am I right? What can also occur is that the aches become worse the 2nd day after the race too. Again, nothing to worry about, just the body adapting to the change :)

As you're body get more and more used to the distance/pace your time spend waddling unconfortably around the house should reduce ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your quick response, In reply to katten's question yes I have run to the 10 before but only in training. And in reply to Richard the second day was worse. So again thanks for your help.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Steve said:
Agree with others ...is normal
me too, particularly Richard's comments. Ran my last race on a Sunday, Monday I felt the aches but not bad enough to stop me running. Tuesday & Wednesday were hell (I felt like I was wearing a pair of flippers every where). By Thursday evening I was back to normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts