Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all, just found this site browsing the web at lunch and quickly registered. I've got a few beginners questions and thought I would bite the bullet, start a topic and hope to pick up some good advice, so here goes!

I've just recently got back into exercising and going to the gym, I'm now exercise 4/5 times a week, seems to be 4 times at the gym and then one run at the weekend round the roads. At the gym I'm doing a couple of days doing weights and then the other 2 days I'm either running or doing a RPM/Spin class.

I'm running for 30-45 minutes depending on time and workload, seem to be covering 6-8 km's in that time (normally running at 12.6 km an hour). I do vary the exercises and sometimes it will be a flat run, other days it will be a random hill programme, mixing up the gradient. My road run seems to be for 45 minutes, normally covering 5, 6 or 7 miles depending on weather and energy! (pace seems to be around 8 minute miles).

I've just registered for my first half marathon and want to run a good time to raise some money for charity.

Do you think my current work programme needs looking at to help me train for this marathon (it's in October so have got plenty of time). My current goals are to lose a bit of weight, get fit and tone up, so I do like doing some weights, but do I need to drop the RPM class and do more running?? I'm also doing 15 minutes on the cross trainer and starting to think I should drop that and just add 15 minutes to my run, making it 45-60 minutes.

Lastly, I'm running in a pair of Asics training shoes, which I bought in Australia about 7 years ago, might sound strange but should I be looking at investing in a new shoe as well?

Sorry for a very boring, long and dull first post, but as you can see I need help!

Any advice or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian

·
Registered
943 Posts
Sorry, can't help with any of your questions because I'm new too, but welcome!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ritchie :)

Definitely time to treat yourself to a new pair of runners I reckon ;) They are generally only good for about 500 miles

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
500 miles, is that right, didn't know that, I was more into weights a few years back but even I must have covered more than 500 miles in 7 years!

Shame I'm painting my house this weekend and can't get down the shops (even fitting in a run this weekend is looking dodgy).

Ian

·
Registered
835 Posts
Having read your posts my guess is your in your early to mid 30's as your times are pretty impressive if you have only just come back to running. Well done, keep it up!

With regards the shoes, I've had mine for about 10 months and about a 1000 miles and they only just seem to be showing signs of wear. I may be speaking out of turn, but surely, if they are still comfortable and not causing an injury then they should be OK. We can't all afford £90 a time for new shoes!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
scr8pe said:
Having read your posts my guess is your in your early to mid 30's as your times are pretty impressive if you have only just come back to running. Well done, keep it up!

With regards the shoes, I've had mine for about 10 months and about a 1000 miles and they only just seem to be showing signs of wear. I may be speaking out of turn, but surely, if they are still comfortable and not causing an injury then they should be OK. We can't all afford £90 a time for new shoes!!
Tell me about it! I know the guy at my local running shop quite well and think he will give me honest advice when I go in there, so will take them in and see what he says.

With regards to age, 29 (although it;s been a hard life and I feel 40!). Very keen to keep the running up, it;s always hard to get back in to it after a break and now I've been running for 6 to 7 weeks I feel like I'm over the worst and almost getting back into a routine of gym and road run.

Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
scr8pe said:

They may only look like they're only just showing signs of wear but there will be little or no cushioning and/or support left in them

You might as well be running in a cheap pair of trainers off the high street

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ritchie said:
Afternoon all, just found this site browsing the web at lunch and quickly registered. I've got a few beginners questions and thought I would bite the bullet, start a topic and hope to pick up some good advice, so here goes!

I've just recently got back into exercising and going to the gym, I'm now exercise 4/5 times a week, seems to be 4 times at the gym and then one run at the weekend round the roads. At the gym I'm doing a couple of days doing weights and then the other 2 days I'm either running or doing a RPM/Spin class.

I'm running for 30-45 minutes depending on time and workload, seem to be covering 6-8 km's in that time (normally running at 12.6 km an hour). I do vary the exercises and sometimes it will be a flat run, other days it will be a random hill programme, mixing up the gradient. My road run seems to be for 45 minutes, normally covering 5, 6 or 7 miles depending on weather and energy! (pace seems to be around 8 minute miles).

I've just registered for my first half marathon and want to run a good time to raise some money for charity.

Do you think my current work programme needs looking at to help me train for this marathon (it's in October so have got plenty of time). My current goals are to lose a bit of weight, get fit and tone up, so I do like doing some weights, but do I need to drop the RPM class and do more running?? I'm also doing 15 minutes on the cross trainer and starting to think I should drop that and just add 15 minutes to my run, making it 45-60 minutes.

Lastly, I'm running in a pair of Asics training shoes, which I bought in Australia about 7 years ago, might sound strange but should I be looking at investing in a new shoe as well?

Sorry for a very boring, long and dull first post, but as you can see I need help!

Any advice or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian
When you say Asics training shoes do you mean 'general training shoes' or 'running shoes'? In any case if you are training for a marathon you HAVE to buy a new pair of trainers. A 7 year only pair of trainers isn't going to last you very long.

Your pace seems to be pretty good. My personal opinion would be to bump up the millage (slowly - learn from my mistakes :embarrassed: ) on the outdoor run. No more than 10% each time.

You're going to find that the more running you you're going to start losing upper body definition. I'm a bit like you in that I'm in the gym in the week. Have you thought about using the running as a way of warming up for the weights?

There's nothing wrong with cross training (not necessarily the cross trainer) but I would suggest if you're going to go for a marathon you should spend most of your time running. October will come around surprisingly quickly!

Good luck at let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Trinity said:
They may only look like they're only just showing signs of wear but there will be little or no cushioning and/or support left in them

You might as well be running in a cheap pair of trainers off the high street
Yeah, but as I said, if their still comfortable and not causing injuries I don't see any problem. I find it very difficult to justify spending £90 on running shoes when my four children all need new trainers for the summer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts