Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all, I stumbled across this site whilst searchin for running stuff and think I might make myself at home :d

I've been running since Dec 2005 and have done a few events, I'm at a point now where I'm keen to lose some more weight, up my training and see how well I can do. I'm in Stratford-upon-Avon at the moment but will soon be moving to the Leamington area (hopefully!) and will be looking to join a club.

I'd love to hear any recommendations of good clubs in the area, so please feel free to let me know if you're local!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
No absolutely nothing about the Leamington area :d but thought I'd say hello and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well I hope you have your pipe in hand and your slippers on!

Can't help re clubs but I did live near(ish) you for a while and the running around your way can be great with all its undulations...try running the Malvern Hills for instance.

I took part in the SoA marathon a few years back....won't do again unless they change the start time from 12 noon. It was baking from the start....no good for me at all!!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll be pleased to know they have revised the start time Steve. As I understand it, in the past the Shakespeare Marathon & Half Marathon were held on the same day as the rest of the Shakespeare Birthday Celebrations, and so the race couldn't start until the procession had finished going around town. Now they've moved the race to a week after I think, so start/finish times are much more sensible.

I've done the Half this year and last, and I have to say full credit to anyone doing two laps of the course! The long bit along the greenway must've been soul destroying the second time round?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Richard

Welcome to the forum, good luck with your mission :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
You'll be pleased to know they have revised the start time Steve. As I understand it, in the past the Shakespeare Marathon & Half Marathon were held on the same day as the rest of the Shakespeare Birthday Celebrations, and so the race couldn't start until the procession had finished going around town. Now they've moved the race to a week after I think, so start/finish times are much more sensible.

I've done the Half this year and last, and I have to say full credit to anyone doing two laps of the course! The long bit along the greenway must've been soul destroying the second time round?
I have to say it ranks as one of my top 3 least favourite races !

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
the greenway is great !

especially as second time round you get a full glorious 4miles or so of it.. not the abbridged 2miles you get on the first lap!

stratford AC seems like a very active club
Kenilworth similarly...
not sure what leamngton's is ... spa striders ? (but that might be cheltenham)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spa Striders sorta inbetween Warwick & Leamington afaik... I thought there may be a few in Leam/Warwick to choose from, obviously not! lol. I was a member of Stratford AC as a junior about 15yrs ago, lol. Bit more of a commute than i'd like though for the sake of a couple of runs a week. Ah, I shall have to conduct more in depth research :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts