Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

Gary from Aberdeen saying 'Hello' ;)

Now been running for 6 months (15th May) Was on holiday to Santa Monica last October and the place was full of runners. Had been thinking about it for a year so this holiday helped me decide. Back home and did some shopping.

First run was just around the block during November. Cannot remember the exact distance but was not far at all. Back home and totally exhausted. I have progressed slowly and now run 3 times a week, 2 x 4.7k and 1 x just over 5k. Managing to run without stopping now. Was not overweight tostart with but wanted to loose some of the fatty desposits around my waist. This seems to be working. I work out with weights twice a week too.

Since started running I have been cutting out all the bad stuff, well most of it anyway! Biscuits, crisps and the like. Doing well. Now beginning to see definition on my stomach.

Not sure but seem to think I am hitting a rut. Quite happy doing what I am doing, distance wise but feel I really need to start speeding things up so ANY advice and help would be great.

Purchased a Nike Sportband a few weeks ago. While it is not the most accurate devices it is quite good for me.

Anyone else from Aberdeen here?

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome Gary.

Others may not agree,but I think you would probably be better off increasing your distance and time on your feet before worrying about your speed.

All the best.

Dave.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to RF Gary.

I agree with Dave......speed will come..better to get used to running and increasing length of runs first.

Don't add too much in one go though..10% rule applies.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys

Thanks for the welcome :)

Yes, did think that increasing time on my feet would be best. I have two runs (Tesco and Tesco Short as I call them) The former being the longer one and I can easily add some distance to that so will probably have a go this coming Sunday. I just do the longer one once a week.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi Gary

Welcome to the forum. I think the best way out of a rut is to set yourself a challenge. Have you entered any races?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Richard, thanks, pretty sure you guys will be able to answer some of my questions!.

Slowsteve, not entered any runs yet. Was planning to do so next year once I have 1 year of running under my belt. Quite happy with my plodding along as as I only really started running to get a little fitter and loose some weight. Working well.

Will try to work out some personal challenges.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
i know bobby moore fund does male 5k challenges which is a good one to get you started.

Welcome to the forum Gary

I been running since October last year and have worked my way up to Half marathon status and now i am back down again with a few niggles (well actually a big one my head)

But i feel good now. *welcome

:d

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
garywatt said:
Hi guys

Thanks for the welcome :)

Yes, did think that increasing time on my feet would be best. I have two runs (Tesco and Tesco Short as I call them) The former being the longer one and I can easily add some distance to that so will probably have a go this coming Sunday. I just do the longer one once a week.

Cheers

Gary

Do you do your shopping as you're running round Tesco's? :d

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm with Slowsteve on this. Enter yourself into a race doesn't matter what time you might do it in just knowning you have a race to aim for gives your training some purpose!

Obi.

P.S. Welcome!:d

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Leece, Dimple, Pedestrian and Obigone,

Leece, half marathon, pretty impressive. You have been running only slightly longer then me.

Pedestrian, I have thought about it believe me. Take a backpack with me and pop in for some perishables :d

Dimple, plan to visit here as much as I can.

Obigone, I quite fancied the Balmoral 10k which was a few weeks ago. Thought it was a little too soon but hoping to enter next April.

Beautiful and sunny outside and tempted to go for a run but last time I did it two evenings in a row I was a little too sore.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Welcome to RF Gary :d

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Twinkle Toes

Thanks for the welcome.

What a beautiful morning in Aberdeen today. I must be a little over enthusiastic as it's near the weekend...........I woke up at 4.00am to have a banana and then woke up once more at 5.00am, did some stretches and was off for a 5k at 5.30am :) Back home in time to get ready for work and have some breakfast.

Lovely sunrise, smell of grass and tree flowers in the air, few folk walking dogs.........really enjoyed it. Suppose I have to work now ;)

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
93 Posts
welcome Gary, I am still pretty new to runnning, only started in January but I am struggling at the moment, probably because I have been very stressed and busy ( a lot going on in my life at the moment) but I agree with you, I love going out first thing in the morning, its the best time of the day, just wish I didnt find it such hard work. I am doing a 5k run for life in July so need to get myself a bit fitter for that. Just dont feel like I have any energy at the moment and running this morning was such hard work, I really had to push myself, and I am sure I could have walked faster than my running pace lol :d

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Karen

Thanks for the welcome.

I wouldn't fancy going out at 5.30am if it was dull or raining but just wanted to take advantage of the nice weather. Sometimes when I get home from work and go for the run then (6.30pm) sometimes I feel a little tired too after the stresses of the working day.

Started off this morning in a good mood so let's hope it stays :cool:

Talk soon.

Gary

·
Registered
52 Posts
garywatt said:
Hi Karen

Thanks for the welcome.

I wouldn't fancy going out at 5.30am if it was dull or raining but just wanted to take advantage of the nice weather. Sometimes when I get home from work and go for the run then (6.30pm) sometimes I feel a little tired too after the stresses of the working day.

Started off this morning in a good mood so let's hope it stays :cool:

Talk soon.

Gary
Gary, I do most of my running before I go to work. There is nothing better to set you up right than a run before work!:)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I managed to drag my sorry backside out of bed yesterday morning and was out running by 6:20, I enjoyed it but it is the initial getting up bit that I find hard.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
It's just something you've got to get used to, TT... Just like getting used to running in the first place. I'm usually out by 5am (tues-fri), and I still find it hard to get out of bed sometimes. :( But this week has been great, as I've been able to see some really beautiful sunrises. :d

1 - 20 of 27 Posts