Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone.
been reading the forum for a few days now,seem like a nice friendly place so thought i'd join.
i'm new to running but fairly fit as i do alot of mountain climbing and hiking.just need to start running as i've just entered a mountain marathon.
carl.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Carl

Welcome to RF.

good luck with your mountain marathon, how is the training going?

TT :d

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Wow, what a way to start running, straight in to a mountain marathon! Good luck with the training and keep us updated on how it goes.

Welcome to the forum.

O.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hello :) Sounds pretty tough going, be interested to hear about your progress!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi tt.only started proper training a couple of weeks ago as thats when i knew i had a place in the event but it's going ok.i havnt left enough time to train properly for it really cos my mate sprang it on me a couple of months ago(he's a keen runner but not much mountain experince where as im new to running but had lots of mountain experience)but as it's my first event of this kind i'm just going to enjoy this one then get more serious about the next one.
mm

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
sounds like you will be drawing on each others experience :d

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
really must get round to doing a MM.

sounds like your navigation should be pretty sharp.. i spent last winter/spring training in the lakes one weekend a month... so i'm very jealous of your location!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I can imagine a MM will be a fantastic experience - I've no doubt i'll give one a go one day when I stop being so anal about trying to improve my times, lol!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
running fox, yes it's the karrimor but it's now called omm
You could be lucky, it might be in the Lakes this year. And you might get good weather in October. Well, it's bound to come sometime. A running friend was trying to talk me into doing it the other week. She said something to the effect that with our combined ages we might be able to win our class without actually having to do anything! I declined.
Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah it's in the lakes this year,found out last week.it's in borrowdale actually so a lovely place to run,also i know that area quite well so all the better

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
yeah it's in the lakes this year,found out last week.it's in borrowdale actually so a lovely place to run,also i know that area quite well so all the better
I hadn't realised they gave out the location so far in advance. Yeah, Borrowdale's a beautiful area. Always fancied the Borrowdale fell race, a real classic, but suffer badly from cramp in long distance races like that, so never dare risk it. Anyhow, good luck with it. I'm envious!
Cheers!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
have a look for race reports from the lakeland 50 & 100 mile races last weekend.... punishing.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hello and welcome. Don't know if you've read it but check out 'Feet in the Clouds' by Richard Askwith for a good chapter on a Mountain Marathon. Blimey, it sounds tough stuff. A highly recommended book to either hook you or put you off.
The very best of luck!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Hello and welcome. Don't know if you've read it but check out 'Feet in the Clouds' by Richard Askwith for a good chapter on a Mountain Marathon. Blimey, it sounds tough stuff. A highly recommended book to either hook you or put you off.
The very best of luck!
An incredible book. I love his opening words; "This is how death must feel" - which is enough to put anyone off! Highly readable.
Cheers!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Favourite stick in my mind quote from it - "Being fit is easy. Its being hard that's hard.."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts