- Paula Radcliffe in her autobiography states she ran a 4'01 time-trial & with her best contemporaneous 3000m time of 8'22, what does that predict for 5000 & 10000m ?
Perhaps use 4'00 - 4'01 / 8'21 - 8'22 as actual races may be be faster than time-trials due to competition, & she ran her 8'22 too slow at 2k with a 5'37 split.
After her Monaco run, she had all the info required to predict what was possible for her in '02 over 5000 & 10000 based on 4'00 - 4'01 / 8'21 - 8'22 :
-> 14'18.34 - 14'23.69 , 29'40.01 - 30'00.71
- Hicham El Guerrouj : when he ran 3'26.00 WR, with a good guess of likely 12'45 - 12'47 potential at the time ( he ran 12'50 a few years later when beaten by Stephen Cherono, but they slowed into a tactical affair in the last 1Km & it's reasonable to give Hicham the benefit of the doubt & assume he was in better 5k form in '98 than '03 ), what does 3'26 / 12'45 - 12'47 predict for him for 800, 1000, 2000, 3000, 10000 ?
so, he was also capable of the 1000 & 3000 records in his prime !!!
- Seb Coe in '81 :
Likely 1'41.50 ( he was worth better than 1'41.73, as he faded badly in the last 200m with 26.7 after preceding averages of ~ 25.0. He should ideally have gone out in nearer 50.0 - 50.5 / 75.5 - 76.0 & then able to hang on better in last 200m ) with :
46.60 -> 2'11.87, 3'28.00, 3'45.06, 4'46.98, 7'30.88
I'd go for 46.5 - 46.6 for him that year - see what that indicates for 1000/1500 above ( don't worry about 2000m - despite breaking the WR, his ''endurance'' didn't appear to fully ''hold on'' for 2000m - his optimum distance was somewhere between 1000m - 1 mile : you decide
again, I'm sure he'll claim he could have paced his 800 better (if he'd run it more often that year ) & his 13'00.41 would certainly have been faster with a pacemaker, so
1'46.0 - 1'46.5 / 12'55 -> ???
check what the world records for 1500/1 mile/2000/3000 were in '82 & then see what that infers for Moorcroft
- Said Aouita : most difficult athlete of all to predict : every season he ran different distances, but in his prime of '84/'85, I reckon he was in ~ 1'44.00 - 1'44.50 / 27'20 - 27'30 shape.
What does that predict for 1500/1 Mile/2000/3000/5000 in those years ? Of note is how poorly he underperformed over 3000m - Lazy runner who didn't chase the records as hard as he could have ( what on earth was he doing 6 or 7m behind Cram at the bell ? ).
- Daniel Komen in his prime for 3000/10000 : try 3'29 - 3'30 / 12'39 - 12'40
- Saidi-Sief : try 3'29.0 - 3'29.5/ 12'47 - 12'50
( latter range for 5k is wide, but i'm not completely sure how fast he was for it, as he only had 2 really peak years before his ban )
- Bekele : probably try 12'35 / 26'15
( those look nearer his current ''absolute limit'' ) for 1500/2000/3000 ( also try 400 - I don't believe his open 400 is as quick as people believe - he's been outsprinted by Chebbi/Kipchoge/Hicham/Lagat/Choge )
- Wang : probably try 3'51 / 8'04
( she didn't run 8'06.11 ''perfectly evenly'' & was probably worth nearer 8'04 ) for 400m/800m/5000m/10000m
- Dibaba : probably try 56.0 / 29'50 - 30'10
( I can't get a better idea of her 10k, as she's run it so rarely ! ) for 800m/1500m/2000m/3000m/5000m
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.