Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have started running again after a 7 year break - right now I am very unfit and am only running on a treadmill. I am currently doing a 20 minute cross-country program three or four times a week, sometimes I am doing this with interval breaks walking, sometimes I am not. This course is just short of two miles.

I am running in a pair of New Balance cross-trainers, these are about 2 years old - I haven't done much running in them, and they still look new and are in good condition - so I think they should still give good support to my foot.

Over the last four weeks I have started getting a "pain" in my left foot. Its I have looked on the Internet and the only place I can describe this pain being is in between my navicular bone and my medial cuneiform bone. The feeling isn't so much pain - in fact it almost feels like a scratchy tickle or a kind of pain you get when you bang your funny bone - not nice, but not horrible! Its not stopping me from running, but I would prefer it if I didn't feel it at all.

Has anyone ever heard or experienced this type of pain before? Do you think a new pair of trainers will give better support and hopefully stop it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi there, i find that one of the biggest causes of irritation in this area is due to tying your shoe laces too tight. In the area you explain is common for nerve fibres to run along. Sometimes these nerves become irritated or compressed by footwear being laced up too tight, this would fit in with your symptoms. Other problems i have found is people who have osteoarthritis in this joint (thats if your old enough for that).

Next time you go for a run try loosening your laces and see how the symptoms go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
premierphysio said:
hi there, i find that one of the biggest causes of irritation in this area is due to tying your shoe laces too tight. In the area you explain is common for nerve fibres to run along. Sometimes these nerves become irritated or compressed by footwear being laced up too tight, this would fit in with your symptoms. Other problems i have found is people who have osteoarthritis in this joint (thats if your old enough for that).

Next time you go for a run try loosening your laces and see how the symptoms go.
I am 30, so I hopefully don't have osteoarthritis! The idea that the nerve fibers are becoming irritated seems to make sense with the feeling I am getting - like I said, its not pain, more of a "funny feeling".

I will try loosening the laces and see how that goes, thinking about it, I think I do tie my laces quite tight...

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was at the gym again last night and did another 2 mile run on the cross country program on the treadmill.

Once thing I noticed was that with my right foot I feel the whole of the foot evenly hitting the ground as I am running. The left foot feels like I am placing the right hand side of the foot down heavier than the left hand side, so I am putting more pressure on the toe and toe-ball (what ever that thing is called!) - this is probably causing my issue.

I tried to correct this by thinking about how I was running, but this seemed to put more pressure on the inside of my knee! Either way - my foot feels better today than it has done in the past few weeks.

Is there anything I can do about this?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts