Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm a noob on here after really thinking about getting into running.

Thing is, I don't know where to start! Everytime I've tried it in the past I end up just trailing off and losing motivation. Ideally I want to do morning runs at around 6am and given that I'm cardio wise not that fit, I really don't know how long I need to be out for, how far to go etc.

When I've done it in the past I've always done about 10 mins max and felt like that's rubbish, so it's kinda put me off!

Any advice would be greatly greatly appreciated!

Many thanks
Mark

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi Mark, Welcome to the forum.

Just keep doing it and it'll soon come. 10 mins is fine to start with, do that 3-4 times a week for a couple of weeks and then maybe try and keep going for 12 mins. Once you can do that every time then up it to 15 mins. etc. I don't think there are any shortcuts. Or, do your 10 mins and then walk for 5 mins and then try and do another 10 minute run. Then gradually reduce the walking bit in the middle. In a month or so you'll be running for half an hour at a time and feeling like a proper runner.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
don't worry i felt the same way when i started and felt awful when i couldn't run for very long. i downloaded a 5k training plan for complete beginners and then took it a week at a time i can now run for 30 mins and don't feel too bad at all. It might seem like slow progress but you def see improvement in the end!! keep going its worth it :)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
yup... youve got to stick at it for a few weeks, when you see/feel the improvement that should get your motivation going!

dont be afraid to take walking breaks, the idea is to get to the end of your run comfortably, not run yourself into the ground!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Everyone's got to start somewhere, just look to build on the 10 mins time gradually and over a period of time, like ed_m says you will see the benefits. - just be careful to build up slowly and don't beat yourself up if your progress if not as quick as you would like in the early stages.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, that's kinda what I needed to hear. Just been out again for the 1k and i actually love doing it now that I know I don't need to be running for an hour to feel the benefit!

Hopefully some weight loss will follow too given the splurges over Xmas!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts