Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi one and all. I have just started running after completing my family and I am hoping to pick up some good tips for new beginners. I have been running since the beginning of January and can now run constantly for 35 minutes and I am hoping to increase this to 45 next week having two smaller runs midweek. I have a tendancy to run before I can walk so to speak and overtrain. My husband has bought me a garmin Forerunner 305 which has a heart rate monitor and GPS. He helps me with the analysis bit as he is more technical than me. I know this all sounds a bit much for a beginner but it is making me realise that I probably try to run too fast too soon and my heart rate reflects this. On one of my rest days I was hoping to swim. What do you think about this cross training will it help or hinder my running progress? I do feel lazy if I do nothing and already have the bug!! My aim is to do the Great North Run, I did say I like to run before I can walk. Hopefully I will get some tips and advice for a beginner.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi

Welcome to the wonderful world of running and this forum. There is a lot of good advice here from all sorts of people.

There is a fine line between pushing yourself to achieve things and overdoing it. There is plenty of time before the Great North Run so you can afford a slow build-up. I believe that the more time you spend building up gradually in the early stages the better foundations you build and the less prone you will be to injury.

If the technology helps to do this then go for it.

Swimming is great cross-training, I found doing front crawl helped my breathing.

Have fun.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
HI FATWOMAN, i hate calling someone that !anyway .

You would probably be better to substitute one of your easyrun days and go swimming instead and still have a rest day .
The reason being is that your body needs time to absorb the training your doing .

Try and vary the surface you run on this helps with working the different muscles.

But most of all enjoy youself!!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts