Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all

Was wondering whether you could help me with a couple of things.

I have recently started running, I am going to be doing around 5k 3 times a week. I currently weigh around 10 and a half stone and don't want to drop to an unhealthy weight.

Do people suggest an upper body weights programme with this and if so what particular muscle groups are best to target?

People have also mentioned to me that whey protein supplements may be useful, does anyone use these and what are the benefits?

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Hi Andy... welcome to the forum!!

Do you mind me asking two things before I answer your questions...?

Firstly how tall are you?
Secondly what is your ultimate goal? Are you training to be competitive at the sport (or at least do the best you can), to lose weight, improve fitness? Or is it just as a hobby?

I certainly don't want you to think I'm being dismissive of your questions, but the above questions really do dictate what would be the best advice to give you. There is of course general advice to be given on each subject, but there's also a conflict of interests with certain aspects, e.g. weight training and protein shakes can add muscle mass, and therefore make you a slower runner, but will make you an overall stronger person...

Hope that makes some sense and I'll look forward to reading your next post ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response, i should have noted them anyway!

I am 5"9 and I am running with an ultimate goal of doing the London Marathon over the next couple of years so plan to do progressive runs. (I am doing a 5k in London in July)

Thanks for your response

1 - 3 of 3 Posts