Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought some new running shoes yesterday which I am very please with, I can tell the difference straight away as the trainers I have running in up until now were lightweight neutral trainers.

Just a quick question though..........my calfs hurt quite a bit which they don't normally and the outside of my feet hurt to but this happens with my hiking boots and it passes.

I thought it might be because the running shoes are hold my feet in the right position (which they are not used to) and it will take a while for them to adjust.

Any thoughts??

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
hi minx how far are you running?

on what kind of surface ?

and how hard are you pushing it ?

my advice would be ease back a bit try a softer surface ( assuming your pounding the roads /pavements) when you finish your runs try icing your calves for ten to 15 mins

you say you bought new shoes did you get gait analysis done ?

you also say your old shoes were neutral what are the new ones ?

likeliest scenario is your pushing too hard

·
Registered
272 Posts
If your new shoes have some kind of support to them, then they will be changing your biomechanics and it might take a few runs for your legs to get used to them. If the problems persist then take the shoes back to the store you got them from?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

I run on mainly pavements and roads and I am running about 2 miles as I am just a beginner runner, this is about 2 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking.

I wouldn't say I am pushing it all, although I am sometimes finding near the end of the 2 minutes I have make myself keep going.

I got my analysis done and I am a mild overpronator and correct shoes have been bought.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sounds to me like you're just getting used to running in the right position. Just go steady and try to recognise the difference a bit of discomfort and real pain. I had the same when I switched shoes, it goes away by the 2nd or 3rd run in them.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
littleminxie said:
Hi

I run on mainly pavements and roads and I am running about 2 miles as I am just a beginner runner, this is about 2 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking.

I wouldn't say I am pushing it all, although I am sometimes finding near the end of the 2 minutes I have make myself keep going.

I got my analysis done and I am a mild overpronator and correct shoes have been bought.
I agree with jason it just sounds like you need to acclimatise to your new shoes combined with a little more exertion than your use to.

Try wearing your trainers round the house fora few days to get them broken in,while your recovering from your virus

get well soon!!;)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I ordered some new runners yesterday, currently I have one decent-ish pair that I use for every run, so I needed to buy some more, because it's best to have 2 or 3 pairs on the go in rotation.

Anyway, in an internet search I found www.startfitness.co.uk have some good prices on shoes

I got last years model (Spring/Summer) of Asics 2120 for £39.99, and last years model (Autumn/Winter) of the same for £49.99. It's free postage over £80 so I got 2 pairs of runners for £90! :)

It might be worth a look if anyone needs to back up the runners you're wearing ;)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I've only ever used one pair at a time but tihnk your right in that it's better to have 2/3 pairs in rotation and I think it's something I'll certainly be looking at next time I purchase.

It's about time I had a proper fitting done again though, and I always feel loyal to the shop that helps me find the perfect shoe that I should buy from there. Ah well... maybe i'll just buy the 2nd pair online ;)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
how am i supposed to live with only 2-3 pairs of running shoes ?!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Trinity said:
I ordered some new runners yesterday, currently I have one decent-ish pair that I use for every run, so I needed to buy some more, because it's best to have 2 or 3 pairs on the go in rotation.

Anyway, in an internet search I found www.startfitness.co.uk have some good prices on shoes

I got last years model (Spring/Summer) of Asics 2120 for £39.99, and last years model (Autumn/Winter) of the same for £49.99. It's free postage over £80 so I got 2 pairs of runners for £90! :)

It might be worth a look if anyone needs to back up the runners you're wearing ;)

Startfitness are great they're service is brilliant I can't rate them highly enough. :d

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
ed_m said:
how am i supposed to live with only 2-3 pairs of running shoes ?!

I know... I do have 6 pairs at the moment plus one good pair of off road shoes, but only one decent pair that I use most... I just can't bring myself to let go of them :confused:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
twinkle toes said:
Startfitness are great they're service is brilliant I can't rate them highly enough. :d
View attachment 170
I'm lucky enough to live near to their main store in Newcastle, so all of my shoes tend to come from there. I don't go that often though, and usually buy a year's supply of shoes all at once. Last time I was there I forked out over £300 on shoes alone! :d

·
Registered
664 Posts
twinkle toes said:
Heartily agree, get most of my stuff from them, and sometimes find they even bung in a free pair of socks or gloves as a 'thank you' for the business.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
calton1954 said:
Heartily agree, get most of my stuff from them, and sometimes find they even bung in a free pair of socks or gloves as a 'thank you' for the business.
I've got a free pair of socks coming with my order :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used to number my trainers annoying when you have all one kind of shoe and you couldn't find the right pair! When they get too bad for the road they turn into off road (muddy) shoes, then when they die they transform into beach running shoes! I know I don't need more than 10 pairs but after all that it's a shame to throw them away...

But I really should take them to the shoe recycling place. They'll be pleased with a whole lot of good runners I'm sure!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts