Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've been looking at those. You're not new to cliplless I take it? What is sizing like? A lot of cycling shoes vary widely in fit ie you have to go 1 or even 2 sizes above you're normal shoe size.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been looking at those. You're not new to cliplless I take it? What is sizing like? A lot of cycling shoes vary widely in fit ie you have to go 1 or even 2 sizes above you're normal shoe size.
Actually i am new to clipless and terrified about using them but what the hell , as for sizing i am a uk 8 which is usually a 42 but in shimano shoes a uk 8 is a 43 and they fit perfectly !
Just look at the Shimano sizing chart , it was spot on for me !!!!!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Just got to a car park or somewhere quite and get used to clipping and unclipping.

Cliplless is so much better. Also practice taking your shoes on and off on the bike for a better transition (as I'm sure you know is the point of the single, opposite opening strap)
it is a right b*ll ache trying to walk in spd-sl shoes and you'll likely do your ankles in if you try to run with the bike in transition with your bike shoes on!

·
Registered
487 Posts
nice. Once you have done a bit with SPD's you wonder how you ever got by before with only one half of the stroke being effective….

It becomes one continuous push/pull, it's brilliant. There will be a few heart stoppers where you pull up somewhere and forget your foot is stuck to the peddle haha

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks chaps , I have read a lot about these things to try and stop those embarrassing moments that might happen when I stop at traffic lights !

·
Registered
450 Posts
Make sure you have the release tension set at its lowest to begin with and practice indoors whilst holding on to a chair or
Something (less people to laugh at you) just to get the technique right, and figure out which foot you will naturally unclip first.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I've got those same shoes! I usually take a size 6 (39) and mine are a 40.

I find at junctions I always naturally put my left foot down, so that's the foot I practice unclipping with. I have a quiet road near where I live that I've started cycling back and forth along, clipping and unclipping repeatedly for the practice.

Still too nervous to do an entire proper ride from my house though. To get off my estate I have to negotiate a busy mini-roundabout which I have to approach up quite a hill.

I find it very difficult to unclip when going uphill. I find I need to be coasting with the left foot at the bottom of the pedal stroke for a second or two to get my foot out. Do other people find the same thing?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I twist the foot out as it's on the way to the top… providing the pressure with the other foot

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cleats fitted to shoes and pedals fitted to bike , so sometime today when the frost has lifted i will be out trying them , no doubt making a right pigs arse about it !:embarrassed:

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Practice clipping in and out between a door frame before you go out. Then just potter up along the path outside your house, clipping and unclipping every couple of pedal strokes, you'll soon get used to it.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks peeps for all the info , it just needs me to go outside in the freezing cold to try them !

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had a go with the clipless earlier and they make pedalling feel so much more stable than without them !
Anybody got any recommendations about which over shoes to buy ?

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I twist the foot out as it's on the way to the top… providing the pressure with the other foot
Well, I've been practicing quite a bit with my cycling shoes over the last couple of weeks, and I am getting much more comfortable with them now. I've got just over 2 months until my first multisport race of the season (a duathlon) and I think I will be confident enough by then to use them.

However, I did try your method of twisting when the foot is on the way up and I just can't generate any leverage that way. I have found with practice that I can sometimes get the foot out whilst still pedalling if I start the twist as the foot arrives at the bottom of the stroke. Timing has to be just right though, and I often found I have to go round again once or twice.

I'm not sure whether it has anything to do with the fact I'm using MTB cleats rather than SPD-SLs. My pedals are touring pedals with one flat side and one cleated side. The cleats are much larger for SPD-SLs than the MTB ones. Does that make them easier to use? (I'm asking this question to anyone who might have experience of both)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts