Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're thinking of trying one, there's a traffic-free duathlon race (5k run, 20k bike, 3k run) at Castle Combe on August 5th.
It's held on the race circuit, so it's on nice straight wide roads with no cars. Great for beginners but popular with the speedsters too.

It's not until 3.30pm in the afternoon, but there is a 10k race at 10am in the morning too if you're brave enough to try the double :eek: (popular with the nutters :d ).

You can also watch or try the Castle Combe Rowathlon in between (3k Concept 2 row, 20k bike, 3k run), which is part of the British Rowathlon Series (Junior and Senior categories - popular with those that aren't keen on swimming ;).

More info at dbmax.co.uk if required.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I've often been tempted by both duathlons and rowathlons, but I've never got as far as entering one.

Is it just for people who do them all the time or do you get first timers who haven't a clue...like me :)

I do have a good road bike...but it still scares me a little, so I'm not fast. But I suppose if it's just a circuit of a track then there's no junctions for me to fall off at

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've always found tri's really inclusive with great cameraderie and people of all abilities / shapes and sizes - i'm sure duathlon would be no different

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Trinity,
Yeah Castle Combe is a great venue for trying your first event as there's no turns, junctions or traffic.You can just concentrate on cycling.
All different standards too from novice to speedsters and we like to think of ourselves as a beginner-friendly event :d

·
Registered
180 Posts
That sounds really good fun do they do it every year, i might try it next year coz i'm away on that date this year. I love cycling, i'm not amazing at it but i enjoy it and by next year i'll probably have a few 10k's under by belt so it shouldnt be so difficult. Is it not hilly just straight tracks?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep just flat roads around the race circuit. We do a Chilly Duathlon as the winter version in November and March which is 2 mile, 10 mile, 2 mile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts