Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

New to the forum and really hoping to get information and knowledge needed in order to sign up to future running events and to be a better runner.

A bit of background about me, I am 32, 6foot and around 14stone. Always gone to the gym and training in weightlifting as well as crossfit for over 10 years as well as playing football etc so I have always been reletively fit.

I have done the odd run here and there in the past, but then since going into lockdown, equipment has been limited so started to get into running and now I have the bug. Really enjoying it an is definatley something I want to continue and hopefully take on some half marathons in the future.

However, something I have suffered with in the past with is shin splints, since getting into it, I have been fine, doing 2 5ks a week and then a longer run at the weekend i.e. 10km. Some days really bad pain, I can only think it is shins splints but I was running in some under armour trainers that I have had for some time so I decided to invest in some running shoes. I bought the Brooks Revel 2 along with some Dr.Scholl Gel active insoles to see if that helps. Last week I ran in the new trainers and they felt fine doing a 5km twice and a 7.3km. This week the shin splints returned on monday so I added the insoles yesturday and now I have a pain in the shins again but also right at the bottom of my calf, could well be soleus muscle which I havent had before.

Not sure what I need to do/buy to help get rid of shin splints. Any advice would be great as I really dont want to stop.

Thanks

Russell

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello All,

New to the forum and really hoping to get information and knowledge needed in order to sign up to future running events and to be a better runner.

A bit of background about me, I am 32, 6foot and around 14stone. Always gone to the gym and training in weightlifting as well as crossfit for over 10 years as well as playing football etc so I have always been reletively fit.

I have done the odd run here and there in the past, but then since going into lockdown, equipment has been limited so started to get into running and now I have the bug. Really enjoying it an is definatley something I want to continue and hopefully take on some half marathons in the future.

However, something I have suffered with in the past with is shin splints, since getting into it, I have been fine, doing 2 5ks a week and then a longer run at the weekend i.e. 10km. Some days really bad pain, I can only think it is shins splints but I was running in some under armour trainers that I have had for some time so I decided to invest in some running shoes. I bought the Brooks Revel 2 along with some Dr.Scholl Gel active insoles to see if that helps. Last week I ran in the new trainers and they felt fine doing a 5km twice and a 7.3km. This week the shin splints returned on monday so I added the insoles yesturday and now I have a pain in the shins again but also right at the bottom of my calf, could well be soleus muscle which I havent had before.

Not sure what I need to do/buy to help get rid of shin splints. Any advice would be great as I really dont want to stop.

Thanks

Russell
Can anyone help?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Your best bet would be to go see a physio and get it diagnosed properly. You can then work through things to help recover and build your strength up.

G

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts