Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have never posted on a forum before and am new to running, so a newby in all respects!

I am a 31 year old mum of two, working full time, trying to fit some running into my life! At the moment, sticking with the treadmill. I can do 20 mins in my lunch hour on work treadmill, and go to the gym two nights a week - this has to be after my boys in bed at 8pm, which is a bit late to go out running the streets hence the treadmill! Hopefully in the summer, will be able to get outside to do some.

Entered 5km race for life in June, hope to be able to do 10km in September.

Feel a bit embarrassed at how slow I "run", having noticed that other people are managing to walk at my run speed (6.6kph). Should I try to get faster, or run longer?!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum. Like the name as well, I think you will find this forum very friendly, full of runners of various speeds and distances as well, plenty of good advice should you wish to seek it.

I generally runn at around 10 - 11 minute miles so I'm not exactly Billy Whiz ! :d

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
GoSlow said:
Hi

I have never posted on a forum before and am new to running, so a newby in all respects!
Feel a bit embarrassed at how slow I "run", having noticed that other people are managing to walk at my run speed (6.6kph). Should I try to get faster, or run longer?!
No need to feel embarrassed. At least you're making the effort and actually doing it. You could be surprised how quickly you'll improve.
Might I suggest you think about joining the hosts who are doing the Great East Anglia Run, a 10K race in King's Lynn on May 6th. To date there are over 1,000 runners entered, most of them ordinary, unattached people running just for the fun of it. I reckon there's no way you could finish last, and finishing in the ruck could do your morale a power of good. Also, I'd advise you make your first race a 10K rather than a faster paced 5K which might have you struggling a bit. Have a look on: www.greateastangliarun.co.uk
I was persuaded (reluctantly) at our Church Council meeting to run the King's Lynn race for charity. It takes place on my 75th birthday and the idea of an old man running 10K in under the hour is seen as an opportunity to extract money from folk!
Cheers!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome!
As you will see from my avatar I am Billy Whizz!!!! However in terms of running I'm not!

Don't worry as you do more and more running you will get quicker and be able to run for longer. You just need to give yourself plenty of time to get used to running....don't try too much too soon.

I agree with Runningfox.....the shorter the distance you race the harder and more daunting it can be as 5ks, for example, can be full of established club runners. Having said that the race for life shouldn't be a problem.

Unattached people by the way are those who don't belong to a running club....not single people looking for lurve!

All the best!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi GoSlow

Welcome to the forum.

Good for you getting out there and giving it a go, this is a great forum, hope you enjoy all the fun that goes with it and all the good advice you can get.

In a few months from now you will seen vast improvements in your running, I have never experienced any kind of exercise where you see changes in your capabilities so quickly.

Also by entering races it will give you a goal and you will not only enjoy the buzz of the day but you won't forget your first race either, it will leave you feeling great.

Good luck and keep us posted with how you get on :d

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your welcoming comments. I feel all warm inside now!

Re: the Great East Anglian Run - I was looking at the website today, thinking "shall I, sharn't I?" but thinking it seems an awful LONG way to me at the moment! But I guess there would be no shame in walking some. Did go as a spectator last year, to cheer on my son's teacher, and felt quite moved by the lovely atmosphere thinking "wish I could do this one day".

Thanks for the clarification re "unattached" runners Steve!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome GoSlow!

I haven't been a member on this forum too long but these guys are great for advice and you can have a bit of a laugh on here too!

Don't worry about running slow at all, I promise the more you do the better you'll become... My stamina has improved so much over the last few months and I've never felt healthier!

Good luck and enjoy! :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
welcome Goslow. Don't worry about speed at least you are having a go. I have been run/walking since December and may be slow but keep going, my first proper race is a 1/2 in May signing up for this has really helped me keep going and not give up. I even go out running in the pouring rain!! I would sign up for the 10k and give it ago, i heard that the last one gets more fuss then the winner.
I would get out on the road if you can as apparently it is very different to treadmills.
Whatever you decide to do enjoy it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts