Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone.

I used to jog about 5 yrs back, used to do 3-7 miles per day, I wasnt very fast but I really felt fit :d
I stopped and now weigh 17 stone (just under)

I just got myself a treadmill, this one
Cant post urls until i reach 15 posts , I have got the treo t707

Im a bit confused, I want to wear the chest transmiter, the machine has a polar receiver and adjusts the speed of the treadmill automatically. I want one so i know im not over doing things.
But Im not sure which belt to get (i want the cheapest that works), i have seen a T31, but confused as there are coded and uncoded. I dont want to spend too much money only for it not to work with the machine. So advice welcome :)

Also how many minutes/miles do you think I should do a day to sart off?

I have been doing about half an hour, mainly hill walking. I do a bit of jogging without the hills but thought it was best to walk for the first few weeks, walking pace is between 3 and 4 mph.

Any suggestions on workouts? (please)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Hi morphe... you should find that your treadmill should be able to revceive a signal from any polar HR strap regardless of whether it's coded/uncoded... Slightly different I know but my Nike HRM is coded and the equipment at the gym picks up the signal fine :) If you wanted to be 100% sure though you could always email either treo or Polar and ask if your proposed purchase would be suitable.

I always find it hard to suggest starting points for people coming into (or back to) running... give it a few weeks trying various runs/jogs/walks etc and see how you feel. Once you have an idea of what time/mileage etc you feel comfortable with it's much easier to look into suitable workouts to help you improve :)

Have you got any specific goals in mind? be it a fun run, just weight loss, a certain race distance or whatever - having a goal to aim for certainly helps a huge amount with motivation and can help decide which workouts would be of most benefit to you :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to RF morphe.

You need to take it steady to start with and not try to ..erm, run before you walk, so to speak!

I agree with Richard...it's helpful to have a target to aim for...once you've decided on one let all those around you know about it...it's not so easy to get off the roundabout then!

Find yourself a shortish route..say once round the block..actual distance doen't matter at this stage... and run/walk/get round it as best you can...time how long it takes you and then keep that route and time logged. 2 weeks later redo that route...after training in between of course...and log the time again to see how you have progressed. Repeat process on a regular basis!!

All the best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, I have emailed treo, so waiting for a response from them.

Probably stick to hill walking for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts