Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi eveyone!

Just wanted to say hello! I have just decided to take up running after I have just completed the race for life (4km walking and 1km jogging). I enjoyed it so much that i want to start running so any advice that you guys have on the best way to start training would be fantastic! I really want to improve my health and lose a bit of weight too.

Sass x :d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome Sass.

You`ll get plenty of advice on this forum.

Some of it might even relate to running if your lucky...............................:d

Only kidding,they are a good bunch on here.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Sass welcome to the forum i'm quite new aswell only been running for about five months and have just done my first race for life which i really enjoyed. I love running its becoming quite a bit part of my life and it definately gets you fit.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Dave said:
Welcome Sass.

You`ll get plenty of advice on this forum.

Some of it might even relate to running if your lucky...............................:d

Only kidding,they are a good bunch on here.
Well most of us are!! ;)
Glad to see you taken the plunge Sass.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Hi there, just how i started last year, done race for life after training for it for 3 weeks, and got a time of 24mins which made me think i could be good at this if i tryed.
Advice i have would be dont be put off by finding it hard to keep it up to start because i think it is hard to start up ,but the rewards at the end of it are great. My fitness is great i feel good about it.Maybe try get someones else involved as well i try get my husband to come out with me on his bike. Hope it goes well and keep enjoying it thats what its all about in the end hayley

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Its nice to have a forum where you can post and people reply to you!!

I think the main thing that I'm going to struggle with is keeping up my motivation at the start while I am finding it hard work - I am too easily swayed to thinking "I'll go tomorrow!" so all your advice and support will be fab!! :d

I am going to start my training this week and just have a gentle short jog and then build on it. So wish me luck!

Thanks again!
Sass

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
The main thing is to get out of the door...then you will do something even if it is a short stop start effort.
Don't try to do too much too soon.....take it easy for the first 3/4 weeks...your body will need to get used to running.
Good luck...keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Welcome Sass,

I like you started because I wanted to lose a bit of weight, ended up getting hooked :d

Good luck.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Good luck with the running Sass you'll love it especially if you run somewhere with great views it makes all the difference. I get a bit bored on running around the roads near me so try to get to the reservoirs and countryside when i can.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Sass,
I worried about motivation when I first started and so I joined a running club but to be honest its easier than I thought to get out the door - just have to stop beating myself up when training doesn't go according to plan.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that once I get myself doing the "out the door" bit regularly then I'll be fine! Really looking forward to it! Unfortunately I am really enthusiastic right now but am mad busy for the next few evenings so won't be able to go until the weekend - typical!!

Anyway, thanks again for your support - it is really nice!! And I will keep you updated on my progress (slow as it may be!!) :d

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeh i prefer going out in the mornings it sets me up for the day, its harder to drag myself out after work and sorting the kids out etc but dont get me wrong i still do it, it just takes more willpower.You'll be fine once you get going.

·
Registered
664 Posts
When I started running last year, midweek I went out at night, but found I was missing training sessions at times through getting caught up at work and late home. Switched to first thing in the morning and haven't looked back, and your right Stotty it does set you up. not for everybody maybe but I'd recommend giving it a go.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Hi there what might help is what i done, still do, and that was to keep a week plan of when you can go out and what you might do, sometimes just like nights out when you dont feel like going there the best nights out you ever had, there planned but sometimes surprising and you have a good one. If you can go out whenever you want then great thats even better. But you cant make excuse about it if you write down when you can fit in your run that week. Once your body gets used to it, it wont feel so bad once your running hope that advice helped hayley

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That sounds like a good plan Hayley - writing down when i can go out and then there's no excuse! I know my boyfriend will keep me in line on that one if I ask him too! On the weekends I will definitely go out for an early morning run to set me up for the day but I get up at half 6 in the week as it is for work so not sure if I will be able to fit in. Then again, as I get used to it I will probably prefer to get up earlier to fit in a run rather than going in the evenings.....

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Glad to be of some help, my better half puts me in my place with training at the moment because i have a race coming up, his at work so i have to go when he gets in, but i know i wont feel like it tonight at 6pm but he will make me hehe

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome Sass I like you have only started running because of the Race for Life, I've got mine in less than three weeks :huh: the training was going well until two weeks ago when I injured my knee, my own fault, didnt warm up or down properly..... so haveing to start building up again... enjoy it and dont push yourself to fast .. i hadnt run for 30 years since school so it came as a bit of a shock !!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts