Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

My name is Jess and i am new to running and also to the site. I have been training or trying to improve for about 3 months now and have noticed a pretty good but gradual improvement which has been great motivation.

I am feeling the health benefits and at 25 long may it continue!

I am building up to an eventual 5k but fairly nervous about competative races as i have never taken part in anything like it. I guess nothing ventured nothing gained!!

Have been a visitor for a few weeks and thought i would say hi.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome Jess.

Take your time and you will see lots of improvement and lessen the chance of injury.

Hopefully you bought your shoes from a store that could give you good advice.

Keep us informed of your progress, join in the chat and look forward to that first race.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Jess, and to the wonderful world of running. It wont be long before you're ready for that first competitive race. In fact, I'd send in the entry form NOW for a 5K or 10K race in around 3 - 4 months time. That way you'll keep motivated and have a resolution to start the New Year with. As for health benefits, well, I didn't start running until I was more than twice your age but can honestly say I've never felt better in my life. I only wish I'd started a lot earlier.
To further help your motivation I'd advise joining a club, or at least try to get out with someone who runs regularly. Don't be afraid of clubs. They'll probably have beginners who are slower than you and only too glad of your company. It's a two way thing.
Cheers!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome!

My housemate is an ex oxford uni rower and very competative so i don't motivation is going to be a problem.

We will apply for a race in time when i get more relaxed and then the sky is the limit.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Hi JessW82 :)
Do your first race without a time goal.
Just aim to finish.
That will not only get you going and show you the pleasure (yes, even the pain is worthwhile ;) ) of competition but then you'll have a chance to start aiming for new PBs :)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Welcome Jess, don't worry about being nervous about competative races, as long as you prepare well you'll enjoy them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts