Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just joined this site today and having browsed through some of the threads i now feel a bit of a fraud amongst all these proper running folk.

My story is that I started all this running lark about 18 months ago after almost 20 years of hard partying (think pete doherty without the sense of self-control!) and only the occasional game of football in the way of excercise. Did a series of local 10k's (PB - 55mins) in Spring 2007 and got the bug.

Did the same series of 10k's this spring and I now find myself facing a half marathon in 5 weeks and am looking for training tips. I have been running about 3/4 times a week for most of the summer but haven't actually gone beyond 10 miles yet. Do most people find it is best to vary the lenghts of runs and then do one big one per week? Thats kinda my plan, with the intention of getting the big run up to 12/13miles before the big day.

God, i've rambled on a bit. Sorry about that but any hints welcome.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Ha. You think you are a fraud. Three months ago I couldn't run for 1 minute. It it's the support of the guys here that has me running my first 10k on the 10th August.

Welcome!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hrun.

I always remember my first 'run'. I stopped after what felt like ages and looked at the clock to find i'd been running for 1min 20seconds!!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Another new member from Scottyland! blimey... you guys will soon be the dominant force on the forum! lol.

A huge warm welcome to the forum - as for advice on the half marathon - blimey... where to begin eh! there's endless amounts of info out there, if you want any specific pointers on various aspects of your training, please feel free to start up a new thread. You'll probably find you get loads of responses if you're able to break it up into 'bitsize chunks' of info that you're after ;)

Have fun :)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi N.

Welcome to RF.

Good luck with your training for your 1/2 and keep us posted on how you get on.

TT :d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome Nick and Debz.

I reckon you two will fit in well here...............:d

·
Registered
13 Posts
fraud?

you having a laugh mate ;)

i started running 6 months ago and have just reached the heady heights of 2 miles lol

if you are a fraud, god help me

Hi btw :)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Welcome to the forum Nik... no way are you a fraud, you have plenty of running behind you! Without going into too much detail I partied hard too....took it right to the edge and then some! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hi, im new too and its good to hear good praise about the support from other members already =D

xxx

Hi Debz, welcome to you too :)

I'm not far from you...north Bristol. I'm doing the Gloucester half on Sunday

·
Registered
466 Posts
Welcome!!!

Don't be daunted by large distances because I started from the very bottom and am now looking at 16-20 milers without fear. Just enjoy your running and the time/distance will increase without you really thinking about it. Stick at it and keep posting!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, all this encouragement is a big help.

i'm now at the stage where 10k is fairly comfortable but i really need to be regularly doing 10-13miles to feel comnfortable with the half marathon in Glasgow on 7/9. Have done these distances a couple of times but not regularly. Planning to do 10-13miles every sunday between now and the big day. Not bothered about time at this stage, just wanna be able to compelte it without humiliating myself.

Thanks Again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts