Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody

Was just after some advice really.

I have lost 4 stone 6 over the past ten months and now weigh 9 stone 10 (ish ! ).

I have started running and am getting pretty addicted which i never ever thought would happen ! I couldn't run 100 yards before but can now do 22 mins with ease without needing to walk.

Have entered a run in Hyde park at beginning of September its 5k so should be up to scratch for it , shouldn't i ? !

Anyway what i wanted to know is how do i measure the distance i am able to run ? rather than talking in minutes . is there an accurate inexspensive perdometer type thing i can get ?

Any other tips to getting fitter would be great, how many times aweek to run etc

thanks lots

Georgie ( I'm 32 by the way if that has any reflection on my possible fittness level )

·
Registered
15 Posts
Georgie said:
Hi everybody

Was just after some advice really.

I have lost 4 stone 6 over the past ten months and now weigh 9 stone 10 (ish ! ).

I have started running and am getting pretty addicted which i never ever thought would happen ! I couldn't run 100 yards before but can now do 22 mins with ease without needing to walk.

Have entered a run in Hyde park at beginning of September its 5k so should be up to scratch for it , shouldn't i ? !

Anyway what i wanted to know is how do i measure the distance i am able to run ? rather than talking in minutes . is there an accurate inexspensive perdometer type thing i can get ?

Any other tips to getting fitter would be great, how many times aweek to run etc

thanks lots

Georgie ( I'm 32 by the way if that has any reflection on my possible fittness level )
Hi Georgie, well done on your weight loss! Also congratulations with your running. The Hydro Active 5K in Hyde Park in September is suitable for all levels. Some run fast, some slower, some mix running and walking and some just walk. It does get very congested but it is a fun race to do and the atmoshere is really good. You can get cheap pedometers for measuring distance, but they are not very accurate. Try and get someone to measure where you run in a car. The best thing you can do is join a local runnng club that accepts newer runners. You will get lost of support that way. I will be at the 5k in September, I have done it quite a few times. Good luck with your running!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

Thanks for that. i thought the 5k would give me something to work towards for the mo.

Maybe i will see you there !!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hi Geordie!

For working out distances you can use: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ - or there are other sites around - runlondon.com has a route sharer, mapmyrun.com, etc, etc :)

And on 5k - herts isn't too far away so you can come and join in the www.BPTT.net fun any week you like - you'll get some company at the pace you are running now and you'll soon improve too - watch out it is addictive!

H

1 - 6 of 6 Posts