Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've been training in the gym since April 2006... I run on the treadmill for about 30 to 40 mins each visit but I would like to run on the road but i'm scared!!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
You should be fine Nellie. Just be sensible - choose places where there are other people as well. Most dog walkers are friendly, and their dogs are generally fine too. Don't go for dark alleys, tow paths where there is nobody else, etc. Take your mobile phone with you. Avoid pavements if possible - they're a bit hard on your knees. Tarmac, local parks and trails offer a softer running surface.

And especially, join your local running club - that way you don't run alone. There's a link at the top of this page to find running clubs in your local area. And your gym may well have an outdoors running group already.

Good luck, and enjoy!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi Nellie

Don't worry to much about running outdoors, thousands of people do it every day.
Find a nice flat, short route to start with and build from there.

Make sure you have the correct running shoes !

Don't push yourself to much. If you can run for 30/40 mins on a boring treadmill you will love running outdoors. Best of all, use your local park.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dale the Snail said:
Hi Nellie

Don't worry to much about running outdoors, thousands of people do it every day.
Find a nice flat, short route to start with and build from there.

Make sure you have the correct running shoes !

Don't push yourself to much. If you can run for 30/40 mins on a boring treadmill you will love running outdoors. Best of all, use your local park.
once you go out that front door there will be no stopping you good luck from batman

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Nelllie,

You will just love running outside and won't want to run on the treadmill again. Outdoor running is so much better, plus you have all the elements to contend with. This may sound like a mare but you get used to it. Invest in some good kit and you will be fine.

There's a whole new world waiting for you to explore it - go get it!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your encouragement everyone I will pluck up the courage and go.... it's not that i'm scared as in afraid... I just don't feel very confident.... but with all your comments I feel inspired...Thanks I will let you know how and when...ha ha...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts