Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just got an electric treadmill as an early xmas present, I have got it just to use in the winter, I have had some bad experiences with morons out at night so when weather is bad or its dark I will run in the garage, its great, did 30 mins on it last night to try and I didnt fall off so that was a bonus, Ha :d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Good luck with the treadmill Helen,Seems like you`re going to get on with it ok.

But don`t forget to get running outside whenever you can.......:d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
They are great for doing hill work, unless you don't live anywhere that is flat of course like me! A mole hill is about as hilly as it gets... :d

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I found a treadmill really useful when I first started speed work. Helped no end in determining what speeds I should be aiming at for each rep etc :d

Personally I don't enjoy treadmills all that much, but purely because I get bored of staring at the same section of wall or pieces of gym equipment while on it! I managed a 10k once (had never ran 10k before and wanted to be sure I could do the distance before my first race) and I'll never attempt that again unless I have to! lol.

Who knows though, maybe if I had one at home I could do my long runs on there while watching a movie?? :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I use treadmills and don't mind them at all....as long as there is a decent programme on in front of me!

Trained for Stratford Upon Avon marathon mainly on my treadmill...had to do 2 90 mins sessions with just a short break to reset the machine after the first set....it was a good sports tv day!!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Slightly off-topic, but Steve, let me know if you run Stratford again, would be nice to put a name to a face from the forum!

Despite my last post saying how I dislike treadmills, I'm genuinely now having images of me running for long periods on a treadmill while watching TV - and liking it! lol.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Slightly off-topic, but Steve, let me know if you run Stratford again, would be nice to put a name to a face from the forum!

Doubt it Richard...was a shocker on the day....race started late, 1pm I think...and it was red hot! I prefer cooler races and early start times....don't know why I entered it come to think of it! Must have been 'cos it was local at the time.

Will have to put faces to names elsewhere!!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Ah! that was back in the days when I didn't run then! It used to start in the afternoon to tie in with the Shakespeares Birthday Celebrations (they had to wait for the procession etc to leave the town for the race to start) which was a bit silly really baring in mind the temps at that time of day at that time of year! Nowadays it's offset a week or so from the usual celebrations so at a more respectable start time with more reasonable temperatures. Organisation is very good and atmosphere/crowd support is great! Only downside really is the entry cost :(

Anyway, back on topic, who's got what features on their treadmills and how much did it set you back?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry I've been missing

Hi sorry I have no been back in touch, I have just been really busy with Christmas preperations, I am still running on the treadmill and ok with it, I agree it is boring, I run with my ipod, but like I said before better than dealing with the morons at night, I have run twice outside on Sundays but the rest I have run indoors because I normally run after work and its dark.
Mine was from Decathlon and cost me £199 reduced from £249. It has got 3 set programmes on it, a countdown timer, calories, distance and speed. It goes up to 13 kph which is much faster than a sprint with 3 manual inclines. I live in the middle of a big hill so when I go outside I get plenty of hill work.
I am still getting problems with my shin but it doesnt seem as bad on the treadmill, still hurts but not as bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts