Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Is anyone on this forum running the New York Marathon in November? I am running for Cancer Research UK. It is my first marathon and I am training on a "get you round" schedule. It is very daunting and exciting at the same time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I applied for the New York Marathon via the www.209events.com website which listed charities that were looking for entrants. There were quite a few places left until about six months before the race which is when I decided to apply. Although, in hindsight, I would advise anyone who is new to running, to give themselves at least a year to prepare for a marathon.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I would suggest a couple of years between starting from scratch and running a marathon so I admire your determination!
One thing about NY is that you can get cold before the start as there is a lot of hanging around before the gun goes off so make sure you have warm throwaway clothes with you as well as something to drink whilst you wait.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad im not the only mad one, I signed up for it 5/6months ago but have had shin splints so am really not ready for it, but one way or another I am determined to get round!

Best of luck and see you there, well you and 29,999 other people:d

Keep going, positive mind set, you will get round. It does not matter if its not a fantastic time, you are dooing it. Most people would prefer to sit on sofa and watch telly!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Sheralie,

Thanks for the post. Yes, I have decided that the time is not so important as long as I can finish. Good luck to you on the day, I am getting very excited now and am really looking forward to the day although a little nervous.

See you in the Big Apple.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts