Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
Having been totally hooked after my first 10 km in Tidworth, in aid of the Salisbury District Hospital Stars Appeal yesterday, I think I'm gonna keep it up !! :) I had the flu when I ran yesterday, and though I felt great through the race, and afterwards - I developed a migraine in the late afternoon and was very sick :( My preparation wasn't ideal - I had only got up to 45 mins per run, in training before being knocked out by being ill :(
Does anyone else think that it could be just down to the flu or could I be looking at being this poorly every time I push myself a bit further ?? Has anyone else been ill after a run ??
Thanks in advance
Chris

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum :)

A 45 minute / 10k run shouldn't make you feel that bad, even if you overdo it. It sounds a lot like flu to me :(

Have fun with your running :cool:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi CG welcome to the forum, well done on completing your first race, sorry to hear you didn't feel to great, at least it didn't have the opposite effect and you still want to do more :d

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Hello CaveGirl and welcome :)

I sometimes feel sick in the hours after a long race.
But to feel that way after a training run probably means you got a bit ill... Were you warm enough after the race?
Glad it didn't affect you then!

(checked your profile - well done on your job!!!)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Hi there, your times are good, im sure this is just a one off with the illness so have a rest and then start training again. Welcome hayley

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome to the house of fun Chris.

It`s brilliant that you enjoyed your first race,I`m sure that you will be entering many more in the future.

Keep us informed on how things are going,and join in with the forum as much as you can.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi CG,

Welcome to the forum, sounds like your illness played a major part in your headache, also sounds like you may not have taken enough water on board.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Grantys headaches are normally caused by Apple juice of a certain kind.......:d

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Funny you should say that, I was going to suggest that CG downed a quick one before hand as part of the pre race prep.!! :d

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hiya
Thanks for the replies, feel a bit more reassured now - I still have a stuffy nose and squidgy sinuses so the more I think about it, the more I think it was related to being poorly. Think I got through the 10 k on adrenaline cos I had nowt else going for me !!
Never had a problem training, it was just the race I felt ill. But I did miss out on the last couple of training runs because of it :mad:
Yes, I could have been a bit dehydrated.....
Been looking at the Longleat 10 k in February, but apparently it's not much good for a PB due to the hills !! So was considering the Portland one in January - plus i love Portland as I dive there now and then :)
Thanks for such a warm welcome
Chris x

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome Chris.

One way of looking at it is that you now havea marker for future events which you can probably better with ease...provided you are not ill next time round!!

Have you joined a club?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, decided not to join a club as I prefer training on my own. It's 'me' time and I find exercising amongst other people quite stressful and I run to de-stress !! I've committed myself to the devizes - westminster canoe race in March 09, so will have to train with my race partner, but we understand each other well and I can probably just about cope with that. Cos I work shifts, I run during the day so it's not as if I'm going out on my own at night or owt.
Yes, it's comforting to know that I can't do any worse next time - I can't be ill again, surely !! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I couldn't find a photo that would fit !!!! It's the cave Diving Group logo / picture of which I'm a member.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, not really. Cave diving isn't really an adrenaline junkie kind of activity. We discourage thrill seekers cos that's not really the mentality you want in a hostile environment...You need to be able to stay calm and think through problems and be very disciplined..there isn't much room for an error of judgement. The Cave Diving Group will happily turn anyone away who is a thrill seeker or adrenaline junkie - they tend not to last very long !!
We tend to be cavers who want / need to explore new cave either underwater or beyond 'sumps' (flooded cave passage) and don't generally entertain people who jump up and down saying "I want to have a go !" We tend to encourage already competent cavers who might have the aptitude and attitude for diving and set about training them through the group over 2-3 years.
But carrying diving cylinders and other gear through caves is hard work and running helps to keep my fitness at an acceptable level. Cave divers are pretty versatile and it's a very small community; we have mountaineers, climbers, paddlers, mountain bikers, skiers, runners, triathletes - allsorts - but our main passion is cave diving. :d

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I enjoy a bit of SCUBA myself, never really done any in caves though. Surely they all look pretty much the same?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts