Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all !!

Great forum, some really good tips for those like me who are trying to increase their knowledge on all things *running*! Excuse my ignorance with the following - note the disclaimer before I begin :)

I'm relatively new to running although I'm reasonably fit have started to increase my running and wish to take this further, longer distances, running clubs, possibly leading onto a competitive nature. There are however a few burning queries that I have...... although I enjoy running outside I'm quite succeptible (sp) to common colds and running outdoors in the winter doesn't always agree with me, with that in mind I will need to do most of my training on the treadmill, from the experience on here what are the advantages / disadvantages to running on a treadmill as opposed to outdoors ?? For example, I seem to get fewer aching muscles the day after a stint on the treadmill...

Another query is that although I want to increase the number of hours I run each week I still wish to retain some *tone* to my physical appearance... I have any average frame and don't particularly like doing weights but don't want to lose so much weight, and tone, that my shape will change drastically ! That may sound a bizarre question but from a novice like myself the image of long-distance runners is having almost stick-like frames and that is something I wish to avoid. Are long-distance runners discouraged to do any form of training that can lead to adding muscle-bulk as this may be detremental to performance ??

Any advice on the above would be appreciated so I can take things further armed with more knowledge !!

Many thanks

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I may not be really competative,but I`m certainly not a stick.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I only wish I did look like a stick !!!

Many BIG people do distance running. Watch the London Marathon - Redgrave & Pinsent, Gordon Ramsey, quite a few boxers ( did Frank Bruno do it one year ?) Not to be called stick-like, are they !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, fair comments.... I guess the impression of long-distance runners is that of *stick-like* figures but that is probably referring to your Olympic-standard runners, of that I am not ! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi :)

Im new to this too, but I have been doing my reading and asking lots of questions, so maybe I can help some.

With running outdoors, you use more muscles to stabilise the body so that might be one reason you get fewer aches after using the treadmill.

I like the outdoors, but then the treadmill gives you time and distance. And is good on a dark night. You could try lots of vit c and wrapping yourself up warm for the odd outdoor session?

Hope that is some help. Good luck :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi mpr,

The treadmill is easier on your joints as it is a helluva lot more shock aborbing than tarmac. I use it if the weather is too bad to run or I have a niggling injury, like a bit of knee pain or whatever. But I much prefer a run outdoors, it's too easy to stop when you are on the treadmill whereas if you have run 3 miles from home you have to run back !

With respect, I'm unaware of anybody catching a cold by being out in the cold weather. The cold is a virus which you get passed from someone else so I wouldn't worry too much. Correct me if I'm wrong.

edit : I did end up with a chill in my head one time after going skiing without a hat but that wasn't the cold.

A wooly hat makes for more comfort during a run in cold conditions.

With regards to the body composition question, I believe that unless you are running massive mileages every week and have the metabolism of a jack rabbit then you won't turn into a stick. :embarrassed:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts