Runners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all !!

Great forum, some really good tips for those like me who are trying to increase their knowledge on all things *running*! Excuse my ignorance with the following - note the disclaimer before I begin :)

I'm relatively new to running although I'm reasonably fit have started to increase my running and wish to take this further, longer distances, running clubs, possibly leading onto a competitive nature. There are however a few burning queries that I have...... although I enjoy running outside I'm quite succeptible (sp) to common colds and running outdoors in the winter doesn't always agree with me, with that in mind I will need to do most of my training on the treadmill, from the experience on here what are the advantages / disadvantages to running on a treadmill as opposed to outdoors ?? For example, I seem to get fewer aching muscles the day after a stint on the treadmill...

Another query is that although I want to increase the number of hours I run each week I still wish to retain some *tone* to my physical appearance... I have any average frame and don't particularly like doing weights but don't want to lose so much weight, and tone, that my shape will change drastically ! That may sound a bizarre question but from a novice like myself the image of long-distance runners is having almost stick-like frames and that is something I wish to avoid. Are long-distance runners discouraged to do any form of training that can lead to adding muscle-bulk as this may be detremental to performance ??

Any advice on the above would be appreciated so I can take things further armed with more knowledge !!

Many thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, fair comments.... I guess the impression of long-distance runners is that of *stick-like* figures but that is probably referring to your Olympic-standard runners, of that I am not ! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.