Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first post and i'm hoping you can help me out.

I started running about 3 months ago after quitting smoking to try and lose a bit of weight. i have been walking/running and i am now running for 30 minutes without stopping, (when i say running i use the term loosely - i am pretty slow). three times a week.

I am not sure what to aim for next - whether to try and speed up, jog for longer, or more often? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Peter

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Well hello Peter, i am fairly new to running being running since October.

I know the others with more experience will answer you in more detail but i would say from my personal experience to jog for longer and build up your stamina first... the speed with come naturally the more you do.

I would not push too much too soon like i did, i have took two steps forward and now one back, but apparently thats running for you.

But welcome to RF.

:)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to RF PeterP.

Sounds like you are progressing well.......Leece is right...don't push too hard too soon.

Find a local running shop to get the right shoes fitted...if not already...and be brave and find a local running, not athletic, club to jopin.

·
Registered
131 Posts
well done on getting started. i started this running alrk about 2 years)ish) ago for similiar reasons. i'm far from being an expert but i'd recommend trying to increase your distance rather than worrying about speed at this stage.

why not try to make increase your time per run by 5mins a week until you get to 60mins constant running. then you might be able to think about a 5 or 10k race.

i found/find that entering races and therfore giving yourself a specific goal/timescale is an incredibly motivating factor e.g. i'm doing my first half marathon in 4 weeks and if i hadn;t signed up to it i'm not sure i'd have ever got round to increasing my weekly mileage the way i have recently.

the fear of public embarrassment is my favoured motivational tool

anyway, well done so far and just keep going.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your advice guys. I think i will try what you suggest Nikstein and build up to an hour. Sounds like you have a great motivation tool. Good luck with the half marathon.

last time i took up running a year ago it lasted for about three weeks before started getting ankle pain and had to stop. i am dteremined to follow your advice Leece and Steve this time and not push too much.

Hope to be back when i can run an hour! :happy:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Choose yourself a race to enter and train for it... possibly one of the most motivating things you could do :) that, and join a running club! :d Okay I understand it might sound a little daunting, but it's really not as big a deal as you might expect. Running clubs are very informal and races have people of all levels of ability :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi,
For me having a plan (loads on the web) is a great goal based motivator - you see progression all the time in both what you've done and have to do.
The other thing thats worked for me is having a log, hr monitor etc. If you're proper geeky get something like a forerunner 405 and log all your run, compare and look at lots of graphs!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi peter

Keep up the good work sounds like you are doing great and keep us posted on your progress.

TT:d

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, i'll check out plans on google tomorrow. Not sure about a running club just yet but it is something i hadn't considered. i'll have a look what's in my area. Cheers guys.:d

·
Registered
61 Posts
hi peter. just keep on getting out there as often as you can.maybe a local fun run to start with.then a 5or10k .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Based in Gosport, near Portsmouth Steepler. Thanks for your suggestions guys. do you know of a good site to find clubs and races/fun runs in the area?

i think i might run a bit like a male version of phoebe in 'Friends' though - so i may try and improve my form before i enter a race!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts