Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

I'm a relative newbie to the running circuit, but would really like to run the London Marathon next year. I was just wondering what training schedule you would recommend over the next year? Is it a good idea to start doing very long distances as soon as possible and then just keep at it, or is a more incremental approach better (concentrating on longer distances for only a shorter time)?

Also, I know there are a lot of entries for the marathon, and not all get a place. Could anybody explain the selection criteria?

Many thanks :)
Stu

·
Registered
220 Posts
The ballot for FLM opens in August. Pick up a copy of Marathon News in sports shops at the time for an entry form. Then you find out if you're in or out in November (about 1 in 4 chance). If you're not successful, you can get a guaranteed charity place in exchange for a pledge to raise a minimum amount of money. www.crunch.org.uk (charity runners clearing house) is a good place to start if you are after a charity place.

As far as training goes, it really depends where you're starting from. Getting the long runs in as early as you can will pay dividends, but you need to get a good base of fitness before you go long. There's no point killing yourself on a long run and then not being able to run until the next long run.

If you tell us more about your current training (weekly mileage, number of runs, type of runs) we'll be able to help more.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Stumow

There are lots of ways to approach it... but I'd recommend you aim to train for a 10km race this summer, and a half marathon race this autumn. You can then follow a training plan (I'm sure someone will be along soon to post a RW link?) for those shorter term goals, you'll get great race experience, and you'll get the buzz and feeling of achievement from those races - your first 10km race will feel a long way and your first HM will probably leave you wondering how on earth you'll ever do double - that's perfectly normal!

Greg's advice on how to enter is correct - although you can also increase your chances slightly if you belong to a running club or if you get a job with one of the main sponsors!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi Stu.

I also hope to do the FLM next year. I have done a few 5k's, a 10k, and have other 10's and two 5 mile races lined up. I have been advised to only do one long run per week and to do some work in the gym for strengthening and general fitness.

I believe, if you successful with the ballot that adidas invite you to take part in the silverstone half marathon. Also RW arrange a 20 mile prep run before the big day.

Hope you get your chance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts