Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Thought i'd introduce myself. Im joe, 23yo from York. After 12 months of eating unhealthily and drinking lots i've finally taken control of the situation.

I used to be quite active, but since getting into business, ive found ive slipped into bad ways. In the past 12 months, my waist has gone up 4 inches, and my weight has ballooned 2.5 Stone!! :embarrassed: :(

Oh yeah, did i mention i had a 40 a day habit too!? :eek:

Anyway, i've finally kicked the cancer sticks, cleared out the take away menus and am on a mission to return my body to the former glory i enjoyed.

To give myself a target, and real motivation.. ive applied to run the 2007 Flora London Marathon for Cancer Research UK and started my training 2 weeks ago. Ive got a target to finish the marathon in less than 6 hours - sounds a lot - but bearing in mind ive not done anything but slowly poison my body for the last year, i think its a target worth aiming for!

I'll no doubt be posting on here for help, tips, do's and don't's from from all you expert runners in the near future.

My first question is:

1) Can anyone recommend me a good HRM for a total beginner - nothing too flash, nothing too basic, just a good well built reasonably priced one?

2) Where is the best place to purchase all your running gear from? Is there a recommended online store, or high street store which is renouned for good quality kit? (water bottles, trainers, socks, waterproofs etc). - I'm currently training in a pair of trainers i bought from JJB's about 2 months ago for the gym, a spare T-shirt, and a pair of gym shorts.

Anyway, thats enough for my first post... Speak Soon!

Joe.

·
Registered
123 Posts
With regards to point number 2:

www.sweatshop.co.uk <-- best running outlet in the UK both online and on the street IMHO
www.wiggle.co.uk <-- good stuff

There are lots of local stores which sell good merchandise as well and they tend to be better than places like JJB.

It gets said to every new runner on this forum and if I don't say it, someone else will but have you considered joining a running club?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Good for you.
You've set yourself a hard task..assuming you get into London that is. You'll find plenty of support here.
I agree with Nick B and would also suggest that you take part in small races once you are up to it so as to get used to the race atmosphere.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi

I feel better now I know I am not the only one that let myself go and is working hard to get fit and healthy! So good luck.

After looking into HRM a little I will be buying a polar, although I havent decided which one yet. I was looking at the F11 or the RS100. But then I like gadgets.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I know this is bringing a dead thread back into the moderm world, but i felt i should close it off proper.

I got a place in the FLM 07, but picked up compartment syndrome in both legs in early january. Physio ordered me to rest, and not do the marathon.

Sod that i thought... i dialled the training right back to no more than 4 mile runs...and concentrated on swimming to maintain what little CV work i'd managed to acheive.

Anyway, long story short... i completed the FLM in a time of 6hours, 32mins, 24 seconds.

Got the medal, chuffed to bits... whats more, the waist is down to a 34" from the horrific 38" it had hit last August.. and i'm working hard for those final 2 inches... although the beer belly has yet to reduce dramatically in size.

However........ now the aches have gone, and i can walk normally (still cant run as the injury in my right leg has flared up nastily - left has healed)... i'm looking back to the 22nd April and thinking... "i could have done better than that"... so guess who's applying for 2008.....

See you in London, and here's to a sub-5!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Joe that's fantastic - how is the compartment syndrome now? I've just been talking to my chiropractor about running a marathon - he used to run them and he's trying to talk me into running one.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Fantastic achievement Joe, well done. I felt myself patting my belly whilst reading how well you had done with losing a few inches. :d

Good luck for 2008!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts