Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

Just started running (play 7 a side on a monday, but no actual running for years) and I have a few questions.

When I run at the moment, I have some discomfort in my ankles, now at the moment I'm putting this down to having weak tendons/ligaments which will strengthen up as I run more often. Is this correct? If so how long would you expect it to take before I'll see some improvements? If not what could be the cause?

ATM I feel as though my feet are 'slapping' the ground which obviously doesnt seem right, silly question but 'how' should I run? Lightly on my toes or land on my heel and roll onto the sole and up again?

Now this will sound odd but... When I'm running I feel as if my body wants me to run too fast for my heart/lungs ie I start of running at what feels like a comfortable speed but my lack of fitness forces me to slow down, which in turn causes me to run awkwardley. (Does that even make sense!) Any tips?

TIA

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Check your footwear!! Make sure whatever you're wearing has adequate cushioning and better still, seek some advice on what kind of shoes best suit your running style. I'm just passing on what others told me! :)

The general consensus about running style is that you should be landing on your heel / mid-foot, not on your toes (unless you're constantly sprinting!) but having said that, it's each to their own! The natural reaction of your foot is then to roll onto the toes and to 'pronate' to some degree. Google 'pronation' - there's some good advice out there, but probably better from others (like footman, for instance) here in the forum!

I get the sensation of wanting to run faster than I actually am at times! I think this is natural but you can regret it if you're silly enough to listen to your instinct :p If you feel as though you're running awkwardly, you may just not have found your natural rhythm yet. Try and relax, find a breathing pattern that's comfortable. There are some videos on running technique for beginners on youtube I think, elsewhere too I'm sure!

Good luck (and welcome to the forum by the way!) :)

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Welcome, as RR said let it come don't try and force it unless there is a real problem to overcome. The slapping could be incorrect shoes. Your muscles will develop faster than your heart and lungs so don't worry they will catch up and soon you will be blitzing the trail.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Welcome. Good advice so far, don't try to run to far or to fast. Your body needs time to adapt to the stresses running puts on it. Everything comes with time and care in the early days will pay off later as you are injury free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers, slow and steady it is then. Just gonna tryand not think about it too much. Oh yeah and a new pair of runners.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts