Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just thought I'd introduce myself!

I stumbled accross this forum a couple of days ago and thought it looked quite good. I'm running a half marathon (my very first) on 25th march and would really appreciate any advice you guys can give.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Bye for now

Kylie

·
Registered
123 Posts
good luck with your first half. How has the training been going and how long have you been running?
As for advice i have only been running for a few months but from what i have read i would advise to ease off the lengths of runs a couble of weeks before the race.Hope this is helpful and right! if wrong i'm sure someone more experienced will soon put me right.
My first half is 27th May! just ran/walked 6 miles this morning and still felt good but had to get back for children.
welcome once again

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Well done Firstimer - where did you go? I went out to Saltram again got my shoes muddy.

Welcome Kylie best advice I can offer for your first race is to enjoy it and don't be afraid to take a walk break if you feel you need one you don't lose that much time.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I went to Burrator and it was really wet. At one point the road was totally flooded my shoes also got very muddy and wet. Hopfully not to much rain in the week so it will be a bit drier for the Brooks run next week.
I am finding i can keep up the running for longer, even though the first 1.5 miles are a struggle, but i don't seem to be getting much faster, hopfully joining the running club next week will help with that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for your welcome and advice. I'll be sure to ease of the lengths of the runs soon. I've been running a mile every evening and twice a week doing a 6 mile run. My health has improved so much since I've been training. I'm still a little worried about timings but I'm sure with a little determination I'll make it in good time.

·
Registered
123 Posts
As i see written on this forum loads of times don't worry about times or others. Run your own race and i think you'll be surprised. Steady Edwina is the one to confirm this she did really well last weekend in a 10 mile run.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
:embarrassed: ah shucks you are making me blush. The good thing (well for me) about running is although there are other people in the race you can also run against yourself - set yourself personal bests and then try to beat them.

I'm not a biomechanically effiecient runner - I have slightly flat feet and knock knees and I'm overweight but I enjoy it and its fun (although slightly masochistic) to take part in a race. I'll never be the fastest is my point but it doesn't matter you don't necessarily have to be fast to be a runner.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Welcome Kylie, this forum is great on all levels, from experienced and new runners, all with good advice to offer. Just put in the training and run your own race and ENJOY yourself (as SE said...in a masochistic sort of way). Sounds like you are doing fine.

Bagpuss (Lyn).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, Kylie:
After 17 marathons and countless shorter races, I would like to give this advice: dress up warm, put on a windbreaker and headgear. March can still be quite cold.
Calories, which the body uses to keep warm are the same it needs to propel you forward. You can alway discard extra clothing on a race if it happens to be a warm day.
I have seen a case when an elite runner had missed on a the top prize and had to settle for the second, because he was underdressed. A ten-dollar light windbreaker would have made a difference of several thousand for him!
You may want to take a couple 600 mg potassium chloride pills with you and take one just before taking off and another half way through.
Potassium is absolutely essential for proper heart functioning. Almost every year you hear runners here and there drop and die on a marathon. This is likely to be because heart went into cardiac arrest because of potassium depletion. It is a medical fact.

There was a tragic case of a 15-year old girl in Canada dying of a heart failure. The coroner's report concluded that it was likely caused by the adverse drug effect, which was amplified by a severe potassium depletion. You can do a search for "Vanessa Young" and see for yourself.

I also take a couple magnesium pills, it is essential to feed over 350 magnesium metalloenzymes your body needs for top performance.
But make sure it is NOT magnesium oxide!
Take some 50 mg of chelated zink before a race and some 50 mg after. There are more than 70 zink metalloenzymes in the body. Do not forget some chelated chromium as well. Body needs it to produce glucose regulators.

If you decide to follow up on my advice, make sure you try it out during a trial run. Zink supplements can initially produce a rather unpleasant taste and sensation. Combined with the stress of a race, some people may even throw up. I normally take zink in 10 mg dozes during a day, 50 mg per day. 50 mg at one time is very unpleasant.
If you do not believe me - do a search on "mineral supplements", lots of info would pop up.
Or you can take a tiny plastic bag with salted raisins, 2 ounces is all you need. This can really boost your energy after some 10 miles. It would also help to maintain the required volume of blood plasma.

And good luck on you race!
Icepack

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Hi Icepack.
You clearly have an indepth knowledge of supplements which is far superior to mine.
However i've always been under the impression that if your diet is good that you shouldn't really need to take any supplements.what are your views on that?

p.s. Do you rattle when you run? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
hot foot said:
Hi Icepack.
I've always been under the impression that if your diet is good that you shouldn't really need to take any supplements.what are your views on that?QUOTE]

Agree with you there Hotfoot. I've never felt any need for large doses of mineral or vitamin supplements to make me run farther or faster. A varied, reasonable diet of fresh and healthy food is all that's required IMHO.
Cheers!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My gosh, you guys have certainly given some great advice! I can understand how some people might feel about taking extra supplements but then, it can't do any harm no? I have heard about some of these horror stories and it does worry me a little. I'm still looking forward to the marathon though!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Kylie said:
My gosh, you guys have certainly given some great advice! I can understand how some people might feel about taking extra supplements but then, it can't do any harm no? I have heard about some of these horror stories and it does worry me a little. I'm still looking forward to the marathon though!
Thing is Kylie for every "horror story" there are 1000's of good story's and you don't always know of the personal circumstances surrounding the runners that are involved.
If you have any concerns, why not get yourself checked out by your g.p. just to put you at ease.
Mine did this for me when I first started and it put my mind at rest before my first marathon.
It was just a general check up really.Blood pressure/Heart rate etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, HOt Foot, plus other members:
Profuse apologies for my long absence! last week was very busy. During weekdays it is next to impossible for me to visit forums, I have to fit several runs into my weekday evenings, plus many other things.
With regards to supplements, US govt issued a report back in 1932 with an alarming conclusion that soil has become dangerously depleted of minerals, which poses health risks for the population.
Body has over 350 magnesium metalloenzymes, more than 70 zink metalloenzymes, plus many others. Those can be formed ONLY if you get those minerals with diet.
I talked once to one top-level Canadian runner, who was at Seoul Olympics, he said he sometimes get a loss of taste sensation after a workout or a race.
This is a typical sign of zink deficiency.
James Fixx, a famous running advocate, died of cardiac myopathy, which is a classical case of selenium deficiency.
Unless you buy your produce from a farmer, who uses "stone flour" (a ground stone dust), there is no way you can get all the minerals in required quantities from food.

There are several copper metalloenzymes inside red blood cells. A lack of copper can significantly impair endurance performance.
Even with such a basic mineral as potassium, an active athlete can develop dangerously low levels of it. It can lead to arrhythmia and even cardiac arrest. This is a medical fact!
You, no doubt, heard of runners dying of cardiac arrest on a race. I have a whole website about that (noCardiacArrest).
I ran at least 3 races, where a runner collapsed and died. Plus I hear almost every year on the news about someone dropping dead, with no known history of medical problems.
If you are an active runner, this is something you definitely need to know.
So you may want to do an internet search for terms like "mineral supplements", "magnesium deficiency", "zink deficiency", "selenium deficiency", "metalloenzymes", "magnesium enzymes", "zink enzymes", "copper enzymes".
Lots of info is out there!

Again, my apologies for not replying sooner: (and if I again disappear for a wk or two, you know why!)
Good running!
icepack

1 - 17 of 17 Posts