Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Im just wondering...

Id really like to do a cancer run this year, lost my gramps to cancer a couple of years back and had other relatives with cancer and leukemia.

Im wondering about the best way to train. Im good at sticking to routines, I did bodybuilding for a while, clean diet and gym every day except sunday and made good gains but cutting a long story short Ive been out of the gym for 6 months-ish now and I have a new job which absolutely slaughters me daily, 9 hours on my feet moving heavy bath and shower trays all day long :(

So with fitness not at best, recon I could make a 5k run in July? And how can I avoid overtraining with my job being so physical, I just want to make sure its not impossible before I go an sign me self up :huh:

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I have also had some very physically demanding jobs and the trick is to give yourself some rest AFTER training! (at least that worked for me).
Come back home from work and immediately change clothes, do your warm-up exercises and go out for your run.
After that, take the rest of the day/evening to rest.

I believe you can do that 5K in July no problem :)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
There are lots of walk/run plans for 5ks, which are a really gentle way of easing you into running. I thought I had a reasonable level of fitness until I started running.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for replies,

i walk quite a bit, i took a pedometer to work and it said something crazy like 17000 steps :eek: extra rest.. mm im thinking to go back to training before work then just crash when i get home, i find it hard to do any thing after work :asleep: just out of curiosity, do you use any recovery aides or increase carbohydrates at all, what about calorie intake? i was pouding down about 3/4000 kcal when i was doing weights, thanks again

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
For a 5k I wouldn't worry too much about extra calories - just eat a normal healthy diet and with regards to recovery aids for a 5k I'd just have a glass of half juice and water with a pinch of salt after a run.

By a run/wal programme I mean a training programme where you run a little bit and walk a little bit and gradually increase the amount of time you spend running. Typically start off with 10 reps of run 1 min followed by 1 min recovery walk and gradually build up to running for 30 mins continously for a 5k.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your 5k training, with your previous fitness regime I am sure you will find the training fairly straight forward. :d

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good luck... I am new to running as well, and I'm doing a 5k run for cancer in July, these guys have helped and encorouged me no end !!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
hmmm... recovery aides...
Feet up at the end of the day, against the wall, for 4 or 5 minutes...
After a hard day, soaking in a (not too) hot bath.

As for calory intake, if you are not putting on weight, eat as you feel like.
If your weight is stable and your mouth is happy.... All's well :d

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was doing 5 mins run and 25 mins walking and adding 5 minutes more of running weekly last year when I was trying to do more cardio, I dont know why but I feel so shattared after work, im only young :mad: Found out 5k is 3 miles... so I can gauge my training a bit better now, thanks for replies:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Go on line to jeffgalloway.com you will find beginner, intermediate and advanced running programmes for all distances. Have a mission, see the end, and have a plan. I just coached a girl up to her first 6 mile run in 5 weeks. She's new to running. She came to me run walking 2 miles in 38 minutes...now she's running non stop and practicing fartleks to improve speed. She's just had a baby 12 months ago and is on the way to becoming a mean lean running machine. YOU CAN DO IT. Check out Jeffs site and best of Luck.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I use Jeffs site and it is excellent I also bought his Half Marathon book. When I started running 12 months ago I never thought I'd manage 5k and now I'm running 10 miles - I'm not particularly fast but I love it. Even brought my running shoes on holiday with me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts